Chapter 18: Trapped

Franks POV

No allies, no direction, and I'm stuck in a net. Things are not looking good for me.

I didn't manage to get any supplies, not even a measly weapon. I've seen other tributes throwing knives like no one's business. But not me. I don't even have a pocketknife.

I was walking through the woods when I stepped on a net and flipped upside down. That's where I am now, in a net, hanging upside down.

I heard rumors that this is all being televised. I really hope not. Somehow, I doubt that my dad would be too proud of me at this moment.

His daughter I've seen. She's one of the "careers", a bunch of bloodthirsty and basically insane tributes. She's probably killed a bunch of people and is having all sorts of sponsors. And me, I'm hanging in a net. Great start.

I'm pulled out of my thoughts by a noise. Great, the person who set this up has come to kill me. A boy with blonde hair and tan skin comes out of the shadows. He is literally whistling. WHISTLING WHEN HE COULD BE KIKLED ANY MINUTE!

I try to hide, then realize that I can't, I'm in a stupid net. I'm not going anywhere. The boy notices me and stops.

"Umm, hi," I manage awkwardly.

"'Sup? Well, other than you of course."

"Hardee har. Hilarious."

"So, um, need any help up there?"

"You aren't going to kill me?"

He grins as if the thought amuses him.

"Dude, seriously? Naw, I'm not all about the 'murder and win fun prizes' point of this game. I'm just sort of...chilling. Plus, I'm more of a healer than a killer. Anyways, let's get you down."

He, being an apparent genius," finds a rope hanging that he pulls. I end up on the ground, face first.

"Thanks, uh, I didn't catch your name,"
I say to him.

"I'm Will. Will Solace, son of Apollo. Who are you?"

"Frank Zhang, son of Ma-"

A buzzing starts in my head. Bright lights are everywhere and I can hardly breathe. What was I saying? Son of...

"Um, you okay, dude?" Will asks apprehensively.

"Sorry, headache I guess. I'm Frank Zhang, son of Ares."

"Ah. I bet hanging upside down in a tree isn't good for your ole' brain."

"I guess so."

"Well, considering we just met and all, this may sound a little bit weird. But I get the feeling that I can trust you, Frank. So here's the deal. I want to be allies with you."

"Really? Why? I'm not the strongest or fastest, I don't even have a weapon."

"You don't? Here, take this."

He tosses me a satchel of pointed objects. Arrows. Then he lifts a bow off his back.

"I...I can't take these, they're too much."

"Relax, I don't need them. I can't use them. I only inherited the healing gene from my dad, none of the archery stuff. You look like you could use them loads better than I could."

"Thanks, Will."

"No problem, man," he shrugs it off like its no big deal. "Allies?"

"Allies."

We walk one way for a little bit, not really knowing which direction we're heading. Just drifting around, aimlessly wandering.

The sun is setting when I hear a twig snapping. I immediately grab my bow and nock an arrow into place. I draw it back and aim it where the noise came from.

"Who's there?" I call out.

A boy emerges from the shadows. He has pale skin and black hair, polar opposite of Will. He looks at me wearily. The boy stiffens when he sees Will. Maybe it's just my imagination.

I don't know whether or not to let my arrow fly or not. I look at Will to see what he wants.

"What to you want, Mr. Sunshine?" Will asks the newcomer.

The boy scowls. "Sunshine, really? Seriously, Will, sometimes I just don't know what to do with you."

"How do you know my name?" Asks Will.

"I, uh, remember seeing you during the Reaping. That's all," the boy seems even more paler than before.

"Uh, okay. Well, you already know me, I guess. The boy who's still pointing an arrow at you is Frank."

I sheepishly lower my bow.

"So, Sunshine. What are you doing in this neck of the woods?"

"First off, my name is Nico, not Sunshine. And secondly I'm looking for my sister. She wasn't where left her and I'm worried."

"Well, you're welcome to join Frank and I. We're just sort of moseying around the arena, hoping no one decides to kill us. Do you want to come with us? We'll look for your sister. There's a safety in numbers."

Nico hesitates.

"Sure, I guess."

"Great!"

Will wraps his arm around Nico, as if they're old chums.

"Let's go, my merry band of misfits," Will walks off with Nico still under his arm. I roll my eyes and follow them.