Chapter Fifty~ Old Friend

Start from the beginning

I stared at her handwriting for several minutes before finally letting the paper fall to the ground. She had been here. Electra had been right out my apartment door. I ran a hand angrily through my damp hair.
She f.ucking went to meet up with that woman. She could have--she could have f.ucking died. What the f.uck did she mean by 'leave the city before things get nasty'? What the f.uck was she planning on doing?
I found myself walking over to my cell phone and dialing the number to one of the police stations and hoped it was the right one.
"Hello?" The receptionist answered.
"Is Agent Carter available?" I asked hoping he was.
"May I ask who's calling?" F.uck.
"His brother David from Milwaukee." I lied.
"One moment please." The receptionist chimed when she put me on hold. I waited for almost a full minute before the line opened up again.
"I don't have a brother named David so who the f.uck is this?" A deep, husky male voice filled the other line.
"This is Agent Cross." I answered and hoped I didn't just make a big ass mistake.
"Braden Cross, I've heard a lot about you." Carter laughed bitterly, his laugh a deep rumbling chuckle.
"Listen, Electra didn't f.ucking bomb the station. There's someone else who did and she plans on doing more. You need to get everybody out of the building, she might have already rigged the place up." I warned him.
"Why should I believe you?" Carter asked.
"Because you're all dead if you don't." I ended the call and placed the phone back down on the coffee table. I sat down heavily on the couch and leaned back, my hands tangling in my damp hair.
"What the f.uck are you gonna do Electra?"
》》》》》》》》》》》》》》

~Electra~

It was late the next morning when a black Mercedes followed by four black Cadillac Escalades pulled into the driveway of my estate. I watched from the window of my library as she stepped out from the passenger side of the Mercedes. Artemisia.
Her long raven hair had grown longer and flowed down to her waist. The long black dress she wore made her look like something out of a dark fairytale, the lace of the dress framing her pale neck. I moved away from the window when I watched her and one of her men walk towards the entrance of my estate.
I made my way downstairs to find that Quinton had let Artemisia in. Her dark eyes that nearly matched the color of her black pupils found mine. A small smile pulled at her full lips when she spotted me. I walked closer with a smile of my own coming to my lips.
"Arty." I greeted when I drew closer.
"Electra, you're looking thin." Artemisia's flowing, elegant voice moved through the room.
"And, you're looking older." I pointed out causing her to smirk. The dark, arched eyebrows and pale freckles that dotted her nose and defined cheeks contrasted against her cream colored skin.
"I did not fly all the way out here overnight for playful banter. Come and tell me what it is that's bothering you. Roman, wait with the others outside." Artemisia looked over her shoulder at the man who had followed her.
"We can talk in my library. We've a lot to discuss." I began walking back upstairs with Artemisia close behind.

Hours passed as I told Artemisia everything from the start of meeting Braden Cross to the meeting with Serenity. I left nothing unspoken. A small silence stretched in between us after I had finished telling everything that had happened.
"This--this man, Braden, you are in love with him?" Artemisia asked with a wave of her hand then took a sip of her champagne while I swirled around the brandy in my glass. I let out a dry laugh.
"No. You and I both know that I am not capable of such a thing." I explained.
"Mmm, but you are. You see, you have already fallen in love with the man." Artemisia smirked against the rim of her champagne glass, a twinkle in her dark eyes.
"I haven't. It's just an attraction." I tried to convince herself and I. I wasn't in love with him. Love wasn't even real.
"I can see it in your eyes, in the way your face heats up when you spoke of just how close the two of you have gotten." Artemisia continued. I downed the rest of my brandy and stared blankly at the flames that danced in the fireplace. A knock on the library door caused both of our heads to turn in that direction. Bullseye opened the door then stepped into the room, my eyes fell to the letter in his hands.
"Felix just brought in another one, Electra." Bullseye informed then walked over to me and placed the letter in my lap. I tore open one end then pulled the letter free and unfolded it.
My dearest Electra,
You're not seeing clearly, but you will soon. That cop has changed you in some way, made you different. He has blinded you, but I will make you see. I will mend this, mend you. Soon, we will be together again.
With all my love,
Serenity

I crumpled the letter then tossed it into the flames. My entire body began to burn with rage. Braden. She was going to go after Braden.
"What does she want?" Artemisia asked.
"I think she's going to go after Braden." I replied, my throat constricting.
"And, are you going to let her?" Artemisia's voice wandered off. I didn't reply because she already knew my answer.
"Bull, get the men ready we're going into the city. Arty, I would greatly appreatiate it if you stayed here until I return." I rose from my seat and placed my empty glass on the small coffee table. I didn't want this to happen, I never wanted it to come to this, but she's left me with no other choice. You've left me with no other choice, Serenity.

VOTE...COMMENT...FAN...SHARE???