29 - Clock King

#29 - Clock King
First Appearance: World's Finest #111 (Aug 1960)

"Time waits for one man." ~Clock King

William Tockman may seem like an odd choice for this high on the list, but let me tell you one thing that will be tough to debate: Clock King is one of the few villains to be supremely successful in multiple mediums of entertainment. His episode of BTAS is easily one of the most memorable and enjoyable ones, and his tangles with Batman and others in comics are often quite entertaining. Despite first running into Green Arrow, Tockman quickly moved to Gotham where he had some very inventive run-ins with the Bat in the 70s and 80s. To me, Clock King is one of the hidden gems of Batman comics in the Bronze Age.

Clock King also has had a couple interesting moments on Batman: Brave and the Bold, as well as having recently been cast for the awesome TV show Arrow; this is a villain that is in demand by creators, as he is intelligent, megalomanical and ultimately works well in both a physical capacity as a villain as well as a intellectual or leadership role. He can transition from a fight with Batman to leader of a group of villains fighting Robin and the Titans, and that's what a truly versatile villain needs to do; his schtick of clockwork gadgetry isn't always shoved down your throat, but rather is just flavor to the actual content of his appearances, which just helps to give it a unique vibe that remains memorable and helps separate Clock King appearances from other villains, and for me that's what it's all about.

Greatest Clock King Story Ever Told:The answer really should be his episode in BTAS, but I have a real soft spot for "Justice League Antarctica". When Major Disaster brings his Injustice League into the JLI fold, the JLI sets them up as the Justice League for an entire continent. Of course, they can't even protect Antarctica from evil penguins. Yup, JLAntarctica loses to penguins. Clock King is a crucial part of that team.