Chapter 7 - Alpha vs Omega.

We all nodded in agreement and with our weapons, hurried out of the infirmary. Increasingly loud moans emanated from the hallway to our left.

“How did they get up the stairs so fast!?” Hope gasped.

“Don’t stop moving,” Ms Faeshar ordered. “They’ll catch up soon.”

“Right.” Delevan said, on all our behalves.

The others ran down the hallway leading straight from the infirmary, and I snuck a quick glance sideways. I couldn’t see any but I could hear them. Some shuffling, like an early-rising teenager without coffee, and others running; the sound of their feet echoing of the walls.

Snapping back to reality, finally getting over the pain in my leg, I followed suit.

We ran down the hallway, passed the stairs to the canteen, and towards a T-section in the hallway.

“Left or right?” Delevan demanded quickly.

Ms Faeshar didn’t stop and veered right. “The staff room is on the West side of the school.” She explained.

As we were running down a 100-odd metre long hallway, I noticed the doors that lined it. About 6 classroom doors on each side.

Faith must have noticed the same thing I did, because she turned to Mercy running beside her and said, “What’s with the doors?”

The first four were either hanging off their hinges or were snapped horizontally across the middle, as if something was trying to kick its way out.

We came to a halt before the last two.

The last two doors, on both sides, were missing completely.

“What the hell happened down here?” I blurted.

“I…” Ms Faeshar was stumped. “These weren’t like this half an hour ago.”

I shook my head. “No time.”

Faith nodded. “She’s right. Slow, but right.”

“We have to keep moving.”

I couldn’t help but noticed something small in the line of the doorway to our left. “There has to be a reason these doors are gone,” Delevan pointed out. “What if there are more down here? And at that, they'd have to be strong enough to remove all the doors!”

“And you wanna risk going back?” Faith snapped. She seemed to like doing that.

“You got a better idea?” Delevan retorted.

“Um, yeah. Keep going.”

“You wanna die?!”

“Do you!?”

I ignored them both and went over to the object in the line of the door. I crouched down in front of it, my eyes still adjusting to the darkness of the room.

“NO. Of course I don’t wanna die! But I don’t want to go into uncharted territory either!”

“It’s the west wing of the school! How is that uncharted territory?!”

“Ah, geez. I dunno, when it become infested with flesh-eating-zombies, maybe!?”

I squinted as hard as I could at the object in front of me, resisting the urge to pick it up.

Zombies don’t exist, numbskull. They are just some stupid factor in a horror genre video game.”

“Then explain those things!” Delevan cried, pointing towards the moaning sound from behind us. Still couldn’t see any.