Chapter 1 - The Beginning. [Updated]

XD and now for. . .the next bit!

Enjoy!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Ughhhh!!” I moaned, covering as much of my peripheral vision with my hands.

“Oh? I’m sorry. I thought it might be nice for you to see who you were talking to. Silly me.”

Bite me. I thought grudgingly.                                                             

After a few moments, I dared uncover my eyes and assess my situation. The infirmary looked smaller than I remembered it (Point 1 for me). About the size of your average restroom. So it was no surprise that it could only fit two beds, a desk and a small, rusting filing cabinet. The curtains were drawn back so the darkness on the other side of the window indicated it was night time (Situation = 0, Me = 2).

“How’re ya feeling, Ale (pronounced Al-lee)?” I hate the name Alexis. But I hate the nickname Ale 10x more. And there was only one other person who knew that. Because he created it.

"Dee.” I spat, managing to sound more bored and dissapointed than expected. He grimaced. I felt suddenly better.

DELEVAN hated that nickname as much as I hated Ale. There he was, leaning against the door frame, in all his 6’2” glory.

Lucky bastard. Most girls could only dream of being that tall at 17. Unless they too, were lucky bastards.

“You shouldn’t sound so pleased to see me. I might get the wrong idea!” He chuckled, his face wrought with mock-hurt. I rolled my eyes and yawned. He’s been saying stuff like that ever since we met, which if I remember correctly, was when we were both about 5. When my parents died, and his took me in.

“Ha. Ha. Haah.” I said, lathering my voice in as much sarcasm as I could muster. “What happened?” I immediately regretted asking, sitting up as slowly and carefully as I could.

“What?! The school’s cherished little brainiac hasn’t figured it out yet!!” More mockery. “And here I was, thinking about cheating off your paper on the next Geography exam...” Ugh. I hated how I was stereotyped like that. And Delevan knew it, too.

I mean, I hate Geography.

“Sports injury. Unconscious. School. Infirmary. Night time...” I said checking off all the things, I had figured out since waking up, on my fingers. “Don’t worry, Dee. I’m sure you’ll still pass the next exam.”

He pushed himself off the wall with his elbows and made his way over to the bed I was sitting on. “Hmm...well, close enough." His face suddenly sad.

He noticed me staring at him, and continued. "Glad to hear the genius has collected all her marbles and is back on the case!” He said, laughing it off. Aside from the constant teasing and mental pain that we put each other through, we considered ourselves to be the best of friends tied together by an unbreakable bond.

Cheesy, I know. But true.

And apparently, smart females make a good wingman.

Delevan’s words. Not mine.

“I was called to the infirmary, around noon,” he sighed. “Mr. Pericotti was with the school nurse. They told me there had been an accident during P.E, and that you were unconscious. Then they just kept babbling on for a while...”