Chapter 5 - Holy Fashiz-nit!. [Updated]

With a mixture of excitement and confusion boiling in our veins, we all ran at full speed out the canteen and up the stairs to the office. Or rather, they ran, I hobbled behind. I'd had enough of running.

“Hey, wait! Slow down!” They ignored me as I fell back and had to lean on the wall for support. I guess the antibiotics - or whatever - were completely out now. I blinked and they were literally about 10 feet away from the door leading to the p.a room in the office, then in another blinked they'd dissapeared in the office.

“I’m still hurt, ya’know!” I muttered to myself.

Blood trickled down my leg again, for what seemed like the umpteenth time in what, an hour? Maybe two?

I slid down the wall and focussed on the bandage that was starting to come loose again, when I heard something. Soft growling - or heavy purring? - was coming from . . . somewhere. Sitting with my back against the wall now, I faced the closed classroom door opposite me and waited – for what, I wasn’t really sure. Taking a wild guess here, it's either some stray animal, or another . . .

Thing.

Whatever it was, it most likely had something to do with the small pools of blood that I had left in a trail behind me, that I just now noticed. If it were an animal it might be hungry for fresh meat. But a zombie? Did blood even attract them? Could that've been why that girl noticed me so fast? 

The soft growling sound had now been replaced with a rattling.

I've seen my fair share of horror movies, even more zombie related ones, and almost every one had different theories. Maybe it was a 'rage' virus, which heightened all instinctual abilities; eyesight, hearing. . . smell.

Her eyes.

I shuddered. That wasn't an image I was going to erase from my mind anytime soon.

I remember her noticing the blood, and pounding faster on the window, but I also remember her leaping for Dee first even though I was bleeding a lot more than he was. She also tried to smash his face in - along with the rest of him, but she was clearly eating the corpse we'd seen in the tennis court. if it were instinctual, wouldn't she have attacked me first? Or tried to eat Dee - but maybe she did, and I just hadn't noticed.

It was completely silent now.

I held my breath, mentally preparing myself for either option. Then an thought wormed its way in.

What if it was a zombie - thing - animal? Was that even possible?

A few moments passed and the only thing that had attaacked my was my own paranoia.

The door unlatched and slowly creaked open a couple of centremetres. Just enough to see three small, glowing, red dots in the darkness, behind it. Zombie.

After a few eerily quiet moments, they dissapeared. The door suddenly swung all the way open smacking into the wall leaving a graze. I searched the now open doorway for any signs of lif- I mean, movement. My gaze flickered to the still open office door. Nothing.

"HOLY FASHIZ-NIT!!" I yelped. in the instant I'd looked away he'd appeared out of nowhere and had crouched down in front of me. A zombie inches from my face. Freaky pupils and all. This one male and taller than Delevan. Another student.

I watched a sliver of blood ooze down his forehead and drip off his chin.

I considered screaming. Then thought better of it; he was inches from face - studying me. Screaming now may only startle him into ripping it off! I remained as still as possible, not daring to even breathe. I knowing that fleeing wasn’t an ideal option, I did – what I thought was – the next best option and stayed put.