Chapter 13

Lexa had never been very good at holding her breath, but in those next few antagonizing minutes as she stared at a shocked Abby Griffin, she was certain she'd set a new personal record. She looked cautiously from the wide-eyed woman to the nervous blonde a few feet behind her. Clarke caught Lexa's gaze and gingerly took a step forward, reaching out and brushing her mom's shoulder.

"Mom, this is not what it looks li-" she was cut off as Abby suddenly exploded with laughter. Lexa's eyebrows scrunched together as she watched Mrs. Griffin double over, clutching the counter as peals of her laughter sounded through the bathroom.

"Mom?" Clarke was thoroughly confused as she tried to calm her mother down. The two girls stared at each other over the hysterical woman's hunched shoulders, Lexa mouthing "What is happening?"

Abby took a deep breath, somewhat composed herself, and stood to face her daughter. "Oh, I'm sorry Clarke. It's just, I always knew you weren't straight. But this," she laughed, motioning towards a still half-dressed Lexa, "this is one hell of a way to find out."

As she watched Mrs. Griffin attempt to keep herself composed, Lexa could barely stifle her own laughter. Abby was right, this was a pretty amusing situation. Clarke shot her a warning glare the second she giggled, causing her to swallow her laugh and clear her throat.

"Uh, Mrs. Griffin?" Lexa asked cautiously. Abby turned to her, her face now serious despite the amusement left in her eyes. Lexa took in her sharp, authoritative features, noting that she had the same intimidating qualities as her daughter. She slowly offered her hand in front of her, silently begging the older woman to have mercy on her.

Abby grabbed Lexa's hand, shaking it with a warm smile that eased the young girl a bit. "Um, I'm Lexa..." she stated.

Abby nodded her head, "Nice to meet you, Lexa. I'm Clarke's mother, you can call me Abby. And Lexa?" Lexa raised her eyebrows in question.

"You're aware you are shirtless?" Abby asked seriously.

Lexa looked down, having completely forgotten about her lack of clothing. She gasped, reaching a hand up to the front of her bra in a vain attempt to conceal herself.

Clarke quickly hopped in between Lexa and her mom, grabbing the older woman by the shoulders. "Okay, Mom, thank you I'm sure she's very aware of that. Why don't we all go into the living room so we can't talk and Lexa could maybe, you know, get clothed?"

Lexa offered a sheepish smile as Abby looked her over once before nodding at her daughter.
"That sounds like a good idea. After you, Lexa." Abby motioned for the girl to exit before her. Clarke shot an apologetic look at the brunette as she shuffled her way out of the bathroom and immediately towards the laundry room to retrieve her shirt.
  ______________________________

"So, Lexa, would you care to explain why you were hanging out, half-naked, in my daughter's bathroom?" Abby confronted, flopping down in the chair across from Lexa.

The girl, now fully clothed, chuckled nervously, rubbing her palms down her pants. "Well, I, uh..."

"She was here last night for Raven's party. Because she was the only one sober at the time, she escorted everyone out and then slept here so she could help me clean up in the morning. When I woke up, everything was spotless and she'd cooked us breakfast. In my graceful nature, I accidentally spilled coffee all over her shirt, so she took it off for me to wash while she finished the dishes. That was when you showed up, and she had to scurry into the bathroom to avoid confrontation, which, I suppose, ended up being pointless seeing as here we are now, being confronted," Clarke snapped at her mother as she set down her mug of coffee and sat next to Lexa on the sofa.