Chapter 11

_______________________________________________________________

Clarke slowly peeled open her eyelids, her leftover mascara practically audible as her eyelashes parted. The sunlight spilling through her drawn curtains sent a wave of pain through her head and she quickly shut her eyes.

She groaned, slapping her hand on the empty side of the mattress next to her. Empty. Now ignoring the brightness, Clarke's eyes shot open to reveal the disheveled sheets on the opposite side of the bed.

"Lexa?" Clarke rasped. She was sure the girl had laid next to her the previous night. Even if the memory had just been a figment of her drunken imagination, there was no mistaking the lingering warmth and smell that was so....Lexa.

Reaching to her nightstand to retrieve her phone, Clarke smiled. A tall glass of water and two small pills had been strategically placed near her phone. Clarke shoved the pills in her mouth, washing them down with some water as she checked the time: 10:15.

Clarke sluggishly sat up in bed, swinging her legs over the side. She had to grab onto the bedpost for a minute to stabilize herself as the room swayed around her, but she eventually made her way to her feet.

Clarke noticed her dress had been removed at some point, and she was now wearing a loose shirt and sweatpants. She wondered if this was Lexa's doing too, though she ended up blushing a bit despite herself at the thought of Lexa watching her drunkenly flail around without clothing.

As she shuffled her way towards the door, rubbing her temples with both hands, she groaned again. The first time she wanted Lexa to see her naked definitely was not while she had no control over her thoughts or actions.

Pulling open her door, Clarke was greeted by the smell of waffles and soft ukulele music. Ukulele? She could barely even remember when she'd bought her ukulele, much less the last time she'd played it. Clarke could play her guitar quite well, but the ukulele was a different story.

Clarke practically salivated at the delicious smell wafting from the kitchen as she rounded the corner. The last substantial thing she'd eaten was yesterday's lunch, which she was fairly certain had come back up sometime throughout the course of last night's drunken fiasco.

Clarke stopped halfway through the kitchen as she heard faint singing drifting from across the room. Lexa sat on the bar counter, her back to Clarke and her feet dangling towards the floor.

"I found my way, right time wrong place, as I plead my case. You're the judge- oh no. Set me free..."

Clarke vaguely recognized the song, though she was more interested in the person singing. Lexa's soft voice was so smooth and delicate that Clarke almost couldn't believe it came from someone as stoic as Lexa.

She was so busy focusing on getting the chords right that Lexa didn't even notice Clarke sneak up behind her. She hadn't played in a while, so her fingers were slow getting to the correct frets in time.

Clarke watched from behind the bar as Lexa paused momentarily to figure out the next chord. She craned her neck over the girl's shoulder to get a better look. Lexa, finally noticing her presence, gasped as Clarke's hair brushed her neck.

"Oh my god, Clarke, you scared me." Lexa wrapped her hand around the neck of the ukulele and gaped up at Clarke. The blonde positioned herself in front of her.