Sub-Chapter 11: Legion Strong, Strong as Your Weakest Link

Start from the beginning

His words forced me to ask another question as my curiosity peaked.

“Herschel, your talented, you have experience, your powerful…why wouldn’t you take the chance of the duel, I mean you saved my life just as much as I saved yours,” I pressed.

He cut his eyes and forced a smile.

“Kid, you’re selling yourself short,” he replied. “Besides the fact that you have me outmatched in a head to head battle, I have integrity and that means more to me than some silly prideful trophy win. You are an ally and the minute this stopped being a game, I stopped playing. I’m a strategist, give me pieces and I can hold my own with the best but I’m also smart enough to see when I’m outmatched. The cards were in your favor, God’s favor was with you and you put it on the line for me. You earned your win and I’m not going to do something as classless as challenge someone who wasn’t a hundred percent because they were fighting to save me.”

I nodded ending our conversation just as we got up to the council. They all stood staring at us proudly. Herschel and I stood with our hands behind our back military style as they briefed us on what to do next. Abdiel sat forward with his arms extended as he spoke.

"Timothy Eli, do you have the relic?"Abdiel asked.

"Um, yes sir," I replied fumbling for the relic and pulling out.

I timidly walked up to the table and handed it to him.

"Thank you," he replied motioning for me to return to my position.

I quickly returned to my spot and waited for a reply. They passed the relic down the line inspecting as it changed from hand to hand.

"Herschel Champion, will you take this oppurtunity to duel for ownership of this said relic," Abdiel replied.

Herschel raised his head and replied like a season military man.

"No sir, I concede my claim on the relic. It is my opponents," he replied.

"Are sure about this cadet?" Abdiel replied. "You know that a concession will be take into consideration when determining your certification and invitation."

"Yes, I do sir," Herschel replied. "But I would hope the council can see my concession is based on intergrity and ingenuity, not weakness or fear, sir."

"Indeed," Abdiel replied.

They all whispered and chatted among each other before turning back to us.

“Gentlemen,” he replied motioning us forward. “We couldn’t be more proud of your display. You showed outstanding courage, cunning, technique, and skill. You both went beyond the scope of your duty to fulfill a heavenly assignment and it is my esteem pleasure to award both of you with certifications and invitations to any of the twelve schools in the Light Guard Academy. You will have two weeks to make your decision along with the passing members of your legions. Good Luck and I’’m sure that every headmaster here would love to have either one of you.”

“Thank you,” Herschel replied with a nod.

“Oh, yes-ah…Thank you,” I mimicked.

The Lower Council gave adoring smiles and chuckled under their breath.

“You’re welcome,” they all replied motioning that it was okay for us to exit.

I turned and gave a nod as we headed toward the exit. The Lower Council alternated between nods and varying forms of acknowledgement as we turned to leave.

“So, if you don’t mind me asking, what happens if you choose a school without a legion?” I asked like a nagging little brother.

He continued to walk keeping a straight face as he replied back via BAU.