eleven | like you

I paced back and forth in front of the door and frantically wiped my sweaty palms on my pants. Despite the pep talk Caroline gave me, I was still more nervous than I'd ever been before. I mean, it's my first date—ever—how am I supposed to feel?

"I can do this," I mumbled, raising my hand up to knock on the door. "I can't do this!" my inner-self argued aimlessly. My hand retracted and slid into the back pocket of my jeans. I contemplated for a solid 5 minutes on whether I should go with my guts and bolt in the opposite direction, or knock on the door.

But finally making my decision, I knocked on the door lightly and let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding in.

"Oh, hey, Y/N," Mike greeted, moving out of the doorway to let me in.

"I-I'm, uh..."

"Lauren!" he called out, easing my nerves. She descended down almost god-like in her leggings and crop top. I had to control myself when it came to checking her out because of Mike, but he didn't seem to be paying attention anyway.

"You look gorgeous, Lauren," I complimented somewhat shyly.

She giggled and hugged me tight, saying, "Thanks. You too," against my chest.

We pulled away and I knew Mr. Jauregui knew what was happening, so I waved a goodbye and drove with Lauren to our destination.

I pulled into the lot, the rocks beneath the wheels crackling as they got ran over. I rolled down my window, breathing in the fresh air and sweet smell of pure nature—no buildings, blaring car horns, or angry pedestrians anywhere in sight.

"Where are we?" the green-eyed girl asked as, she too, rolled down her window.

"Just a little place my parents set up when they were together. It was supposed to be like my second home, just in case anything happened to my current home, but it's not much at all." I parked the car and stepped out, then holding the car door open for my date as any polite person would do.

"Aw, this is a cute little cabin," she cooed, commenting on every single thing she thought was interesting.

I laughed and nodded as she continued to list things off, but as cliché as it may seem, I was just taking in her every feature. Her side profile is stunning, just like everything else about her; the way her eyes light up when she's intrigued gives me the smallest hope that one day the world will change for the better.

We walked inside and sat down on the pullout couch that was actually really comfy. It was large enough for two people and what do you know? Lauren and I are people; 2 people, to be exact.

The couch was covered in blankets and pillows, food on a table not to far away, and the TV flashed on at the click of a button.

Lauren sat down next to me and cuddled into my side as we debated on what to watch. Our theme choices were: horror or romantic comedy. And she, being her slightly edgy self, chose horror (like always).

About an hour into the movie, Lauren had her eyes covered and was scared out of her socks. "No, no, no," she whined cutely, "don't go in there, stupid head." Something made her jump and she started cursing mindlessly at nothing but an electronic box. "This is too scary..."

"Too scary?" I teased, poking her side, "Too scary? Nothing is ever too scary for Lauren Jauregui."

"But this is."

"I guess you weren't as tough as I thought you were," I whispered into her ear, making her shiver and pout.

"Yes I am! I'm tough!"

"Prove it, Jauregui," I challenged.

She scooted away from me to create as much distance as possible and responded by sticking her tongue out at me. "You're a butt—and for being a butt, you don't get any kisses or cuddles for the rest of the night."

My eyes widened, and I moved closer to the slightly smaller girl, attempting to hug her while she pushed me away. "No! Please! Cuddle with me!"

"No! No more!" she fought adorably.

At this point, we were paying no attention to the movie whatsoever and were rather laughing our butts off. I, being the bigger person, took Lauren by the waist and pulled her on top of me so she was sitting on my lap.

"Hey," she smiled, out of breath, "can I hear that song of yours now?"

"But I don't have a guitar," I opposed, nervous that she wouldn't like the song anyway.

"Just sing it then."

I shrugged reluctantly and sighed, preparing myself for what could be the end of Lauren and I's relationship—or whatever you want to call it.

You got to get up
You got to get up and make a move
'Cause the world will never see you until you do
No, they don't really care what you're going through
So you got to show them, baby
You got to show them the real you
You got to give them what you've got
No, don't let them see what you're not

'Cause you are strong, you are wise
You are words beyond a thousand reasons why
And you can't be perfect, baby
'Cause nobody's perfect, darling
But, no, no, no, there's nobody in the world like you

What do you do when you can't let go?
What do you say when you just don't know how you feel?
And you know nobody knows how you feel
'Cause everybody's got their own damn problems
So everybody's trying to find their way
And day by day it's struggle
In this world you know you have to hustle
Just know that you're not alone
You don't have always have to be strong all by yourself
I said, it's okay to ask for help

Now listen, people will find you, but they don't define you
And you will find people who'll help redesign you
People will find you, but they don't define you
And you will find people who'll help redesign you
You are a work of art
Bet you didn't think you'd come this far
Now here you are

Baby, you are strong, you are wise
You are worth beyond the thousand reasons why
And you can't be perfect, baby
'Cause nobody's perfect darling
But, no, no, no, there's nobody in the world like you

You know you're worth it, 'cause you know that you can't be perfect, baby
'Cause nobody's perfect, darling
I love you just the way that you are
I love you just the way that you are, my love
It's like the stars in the sky, oh, when you look in my eyes

Lauren smiled and her eyes lit up like the sun. I'd pay to see her like this every day and it feels good to know I made her happy.

"That was beautiful," she whispered, kissing my lips lovingly and resting her head on my chest.

"Just like you."