Epilogue

Epilogue

It wasn't all that entertaining to sit around and kill time for the whole summer season. It was hot. So fucking hot, that it made me want to crawl up a tree and stab someone and eat their organs for the whole day. Even with my massive hatred towards the humid weather, I waited behind a tree,occasionally hiding from guards searching the forests, causing us to move deeper in. Crawling in bushes and sleeping in or behind any object we could that would help us blend better with the landscape. It wasn't luxury, but it was far better than running kilometers and kilometers, trying to save your ass. If we were lucky, Nitera and Kemint would wake up at god knows what hour and hunt around shops that had an accessible padlock. Hacking and cracking codes was practically their life for the whole time.  

I groaned as I felt a hand shake on my shoulder lightly, clenching my gun tighter, I quickly flipped my eyes open and raised the gun at the looming silhouette before me. Panting heavily, I couldn't pin down my breath and control it. My heart was racing all to quick and my muscles ached of my terrible sleep position. Feeling a palm carefully caress my cheek, I picked up a stick resting against my thigh and pressed it forcefully against the neck. 

"Calm down, it's time to move, Ever." Sail whispered to me softly and slowly lowered the stick from his neck. Gently, I lowered my gun and quietly slipped it in my belt. Pulling myself to my feet, I looked behind me and saw three vague silhouettes heading our direction. Glancing before me, I saw Vow, Kemint and Cover all scattered behind trees. Patting Sail's shoulder twice then tapping his arm once, I signalled him to search for Nitera once he was able to fly. Nodding, he stepped forward, leaving me behind to deal with the intruders. "Let's go." Kemint pushed himself off of his trunk just as Vow and Cover brought themselves to their feet before stumbling forward, following the rest.

Standing completely still, I made sure my hand was pressed securely against my gun and my other was relaxed. My fingertips brushed against my knives as I waited in a resonating silence. Waiting for them to close in on me. Waiting on them to pull triggers. Waiting on them to drive swords into my chest. Waiting on my reflexes to tear them apart, just to make sure they wouldn't let our secret out. Anybody who walked in, was never released. But children were spared. Some ran in here because they were terrified of their own parents and what they've been doing to them. Girls, especially, wandered in here, in hope of a quiet place to cry, when I heard this, I quickly spun on my heel and headed in another direction. I was a sympathetic bastard that way. Even so...no child should fear their own parents, and they shouldn't be wandering in a dangerously guarded forest to cry. I just simply could not allow it. 

"Yo, Koi, there's a chick ahead." A heavily accented man pointed out to his co-workers and loaded his rifle. Hearing some bullets pound on to the grass, I kept my gaze on my feet. Not moving. Barely breathing. I was beginning to terrify the shit out of them, since one of the men started to hesitate with his steps. "Can you die upright?"

"No you dipshit! She's obviously pulling on our leg!" Another man scowled at his co-worker and nudged him with the end of his gun. Hearing the many rising voices of their anger, I tried not to laugh at their trivial arguments that kept escaping their lips. Smirking slightly, I could suddenly feel a hand press against my back. Tensing up, I curled my nails into my palms and secured my hand against my gun. "She's icy cold. What's up with that Koi?"

"Like I'd know." Koi, I was assuming, answered lamely and stared at his boots bored. Playing with his knife, he kept twirling it around, keeping close attention on it, making sure it didn't slip from his fingers and pierce a man's boot. "Kill 'er." 

"We could do better things than killer her," The accented man smiled to himself and ran his fingers along my arm, trying to be as seductive as possible. No man with already moist fingers could be seductive — it just never worked that way. If he even thought about laying another finger on me, I won't hold back any mercy. "who first?" He attempted to brush his fingers along my neck, but twitching and trying to bite his fingers, I startled him suddenly. Stumbling backwards, he fell backwards and landed against Koi. 

Glaring at the man behind me, I quickly elbowed his stomach and made sure his head landed hard against the trunk, so he wouldn't see any daylight for the time being. Or at least until I kill him. Narrowing my eyes at the man on top of Koi, I pulled out my gun and aimed it at his head. Furrowing my brows, I pulled the trigger back, I felt the shell skim my arm again — I needed to practice on my shooting. The bullet landed squarely on his forehead, causing blood to burst from his mouth. Looking over at Koi, a young fourteen year-old looking boy with blood red hair, I softened my gaze. His body was trembling in feet as he clutched his knife tightly. His wide, terrified eyes looked down at the perverted old man then up at me. Expecting him to pull out his knife on me and drive it through my heart, he heaved a sigh of relief and held his hand up in the air. 

"Thank you...." Koi breathed and slid his knfie into a cloth holder. Giving me a weak smile, he shook his hand slightly, gesturing for me to hit it. Gently slapping my hand against his, I flashed him a quick smile before looking down at the man resting against the trunk. 

"Do what you will, I'm out of here. I have people to meet up with." I told Koi informatively and kept my gun resting against my thigh, just in case that perverted bastard revived and tempted to looking down my shirt again. If he did, I would tear him to shreds. He would not just die so simply with a bullet in his head, he'd die with his throat torn to thousands of pieces and limbs pulled from his body. Yes, all that violent goodness. "Don't worry, life will get better from here. Just hope." Peering over my shoulder, I gave Koi another weak smile before heading back into the darkness of the forest and searching for Sail and the rest of my team. 

People thought I was some sort of disgustingly, flawed, shameful person. Really, I just wanted to keep others safe so they wouldn't have to go through the same pain I went — and still am going — through. No child deserves the sadistic abusive life. 

No one does.