Chapter Nineteen

Nineteen

My urge to smother Sail in my iciness; was dangerously high. Dangerously high. My heart, nearly exploding, bounced around in my chest as I laced my fingers tightly around the fabric of his torn shirt. A sigh escaping his lips as he wrapped his arm around my back, he left the other hanging. Holding back my relieved tears, I pulled myself closer to Sail and shoved my face in his chest, hearing that same heart beat that rung in my ears gently and comforted my whole body. Feeling his breath warm my neck, I felt his fingers intertwine with my hair. I pulled on his shirt more — tearing the cloth from his flesh. I realized something evident. Something shocking — more or less. 

Our hands were shaking; shaking in unison. 

I wasn't the only one trembling in relief and pure happiness. Sail was too. 

Slowly letting my fingers loose of his shirt, I could feel the shakiness of Sail's hand steady. The emotionless face that he held before me sent a knife to wedge through my heart. Trying not to slap him, letting my tears fly and my voice breaking the distant fight between god-knows-what and the constant coughs that were sent flying through The Gardens. Not only was Sail emotionless and still as I kept myself loose against his body, he was also pulling his honesty to the back of his mind — holding everything behind him. Not letting a tear shed or any emotion of concer fix on his face. He has closed off himself from me. 

Pressing my palms against Sail's shoulders, I glanced up at his eyes, I sighed. I was sick of not being told anything, of having secrets kept from me. Sail wasn't honest with anyone but himself. He was running away from me. Pulling on his shirt, curling my fingers into his fabric tighter, I pulled him forward and brought his nose to mine. Letting the glare travel into his soul, I watched as Sail stared at me with little shock crossing his eyes. Clenching him tighter, I could feel his warmth starting to irregulate between an icy wave and a deep heat. "Don't run from me," I told Sail, watching his mouth slowly curve into a line and his eyes shading into nothingness, I brought my hand to his cheek. "I won't let you escape me so easily." 

He smiled and hugged my tightly, not the slightest bit intimated by my seriousness. My heart fluttering yet slowly falling; I was conflicted with emotions for him. "Escaping?" Sail asked and played with my bangs just after he had pulled away. I kept my eyes reverted from his face, trying to smooth out my thoughts. My heart pounding as I let everything whirl around my head at a nauseating speed. Feeling the gentle fingers of Sail intertwine with my bangs, he gently kissed my forehead before staggering to his knees and quickly dodging a gunshot headed his way. Hearing a vent hiss below me, I quickly shot up and stumbled forward, pulling my gun from my belt. "What for?" Sail's questioning brought me backwards, quickly stepping backwards never losing my balance. Looking over my shoulder, my gun lazily raised, I stared at Sail in bewilderment. Suddenly hear the husky laughter enter my ears, I whipped my attention back and began to repeatedly pull the trigger, causing the shells to skim my arm. Never had the shells ever touched my flesh in my seven years of survival. Something wasn't right, and by the look that settled on Sail's face, he wasn't right either. 

Confusion tying my muscles up together and strangling my throat, I dropped my gun. Collapsing to my knees, I felt the heavy impact bruise my body as I let my eyes flutter. The red appearing, the numbers dancing.... Nothing was making any sense to me. Letting my heart beat to an irregular speed, I watched as the sight of The Born's hands slowly stroked my cheek. Holding my breath. Clenching my hands. Feeling the blood escape my lips. I let my own scream of horror shatter the waves of sounds that interfered with my own incomprehensible thoughts. Fighting stopped, the painful shriek of the oppnent was echoed as a loud crash rumbled the ground and weapons dropped. Watching the numbers jumble around, gluing themselves together, I watched as they formed a sentence in each eye.