Chapter 30: (No) Happy Ending

~ Time skip 3 months ~

                                                                                             (Roy's P.O.V)

Over the past few months, I had noticed a change in Irene's behavior. Whenever she smiled at me, her eyes would sparkle like the sapphires I often compared them to. Whenever she spoke to me, her voice was warmer and softer than it had been before. This change in behavior was gradual and while it was welcome, I also began to wander what had caused it, or rather, what was causing it?

(Irene's P.O.V)

I had been told on numerous occasions that over the course of the past few months, my behavior had changed. I had no clue what they meant and would often ignore these remarks. But one thing I did notice was that whenever I approached Roy's room, I would get butterflies and my smile would instinctively widen.

But at the end of every day I was reminded of Roy's impending departure. Every sunset brought us closer to that day. With this in mind, I treasured even the smallest moments I had with him and tried my best to put on a brave face whenever the topic came up. While I may have managed to convince my colleagues, there was only one person left and that person was me. I won't bother denying the fact that every time I saw him, my eyes would linger, as though to capture every aspect of him and store it in my memories.

It was then, on the 1st of September 1915, exactly six months after Roy first arrived, that I was informed that he would be leaving the very next day. I thought I had prepared myself enough for this news but it turns out that I was no where near. I knew that I would have to be one of the ones that signed his discharge form and oh! How I dreaded that moment. Smiling pleasantly at the receptionist, I leave the Administration building with my head bowed and my papers clutched close to my chest.

"Irene?" Evelyn's voice breaks through my thoughts and I look up, smiling.

"Yes?"

"You alright?" The concern in her voice is evident. I want to lie and say 'yes' but my shaky smile speaks the contrary. Choosing not to say anything, I simply nod and hope that Evelyn doesn't see how much effort goes into that one expression. "You don't look alright," her voice is gentle, "what's going on?" It was such a simple question but it had such a complicated answer. How could I possibly tell her what was on my mind right now? How could I tell her everything without breaking down right here, right now?

Taking a deep breath, I look her in the eye and flash a brief smile, "I'm perfectly alright Ev. Really," I can tell that she's not convinced and I expect her to question me further but she simply squeezes my hand gently and I continue on my way.

(Roy's P.O.V)

I smile to myself when I hear Irene's footsteps come down the hall and greet her when her form appears in the doorway. "Good morning Irene," I am rewarded with her usual, affectionate smile but as she moves closer, I can see that she is struggling to maintain it.

"Good morning Roy," her voice is soft and her eyes linger a little longer than they usually do. After a moment, she clears her throat and places her papers on a nearby table before proceeding to open the windows. "Did you sleep well?"

She paused and looked across at me and smiled, "yes I did. Thank you Roy. What about you?"

Returning her smile, I nod, "yes. I most certainly did." For a brief moment, time freezes and we simply stay where we are, looking into the eyes of the other with the hints of something deeper than friendship.