Chapter 27: A Friend's Farewell

(Irene's P.O.V)

I walked home that night in a daze. Roy's words kept playing on repeat inside my head and for once in my life, I was at a complete loss for words. I could not even form a comprehensible train of thought. What was happening to me?! Was it perhaps the way that his words highlighted the fact that, I too, was selfish; I had come to realise this over the past week. With Alexandria leaving the next day, I struggled to come to terms that one day in the near future, Roy would leave as well; this is where my selfishness comes in to play, I did not want him to leave but at the same time, I knew that when he did, he would be on the road to recovery. Feeling like this was new to me and I wasn't entirely sure whether or not I liked it.

For the first time in my life, my heart did not agree with my head.

(Roy's P.O.V)

Irene's silence bewildered me, but in all honesty, what exactly did I expect her to say? I could hardly expect her to feel the same way I did, but even the remotest of possibilities brought hope to my already fragile heart. As much as I wanted her to feel what I felt, I knew that I could not give her the life she deserved and the happiness that came with it.

The big question was, how would she be tomorrow? She would most likely try to avoid talking to me or even being near me. I had made things awkward between us, that I knew for sure.

(Irene's P.O.V)

The night was short and filled with tossing and turning. I was positive that I had not gotten a single minute of sleep. My restless mind kept traveling back to the man that confused yet captivated me more than anyone I had ever met. I hated being confused, especially in matters with which I had next to no experience. I tried to distract myself with the reminder that Alexandria would be leaving soon, very soon for that matter. I became worried over the very real possibility that I would get overly emotional.

~ Time skip a few hours ~

I was very surprised at how easily I managed to get up in the morning, considering the small amount of sleep I had received. In next to no time, I was dressed and on my way to the hospital. As I walked through the main gates, I pondered what time exactly Alexandria would be leaving us; the later the better.

I was halfway to the ward when I decided today I would break my routine and go and collect my paperwork first. "Good morning Nurse Ashford," the receptionist greets me in her usual sunny way.

"Morning," I return her smile with one of my own before taking my schedule and heading out the door.

As I was crossing the main courtyard, I was intercepted by Evelyn who looked as though she was still half asleep. "Ev?" Her reaction is almost comical as her head jerks up at the sound of my voice and she squeezes her eyes shut tightly before opening them up wide. "You alright?" I struggle to keep a straight face as she stifles a yawn and nods at the same time.

"Yes."

I raise an eyebrow, not believing her in the slightest, "you don't sound very convincing Ev. What happened?"

She tries to look annoyed, "nothing happened-" she cuts off when she catches my unconvinced expression and bites her lip, "fine fine! I had a late night. One of the children, a little boy wanted me to stay up with him and it took him a good while to fall asleep." I cannot help but laugh, much to her annoyance, "it's not funny Irene!"

My laughter dies down a little as I struggle to catch my breath, "sure it is Ev." Seeing her annoyed expression, I hook my arm through hers and pull her along, "come on grumpy bum. You can come with me. Alexandria is leaving today and I'm sure you'll want to say your goodbyes before you're wisked off back to your ward."