Chapter 1: A Nurse in L.A

The year is 1915 and I have been working in the same hospital for the past five years.

My name is Irene Ashford and I am a nurse.

I didn't always want to become a nurse, but as soon as I found out that my mother had been one, I took an immediate interest. My two brothers called me a copycat but I didn't care, still don't. I idolize my mother, always have; she was the kind of mother that everyone should have and I love her dearly.

I started my studies as soon as I left school. My brothers would mock me for not being able to make my own choices; but what they did not understand was that this was my choice!
My years as a medical student flew by and before I knew it, I landed here in L.A and have been here ever since.

When I first arrived, I was very shy and nervous. It took a good few weeks for me to get used to my new home. My patients and colleagues were, luckily for me, very understanding and kind to me. Slowly but surely, I began to feel comfortable and more confident in my duties.

It did not take long for my fellow staff to realise that I have a particular weakness for children. Then, to my uttermost joy, I was assigned to the Children's Ward. That is where I have spent the past five years of my life; I have grown to love every single one of them. I always made it a point to be as approachable as possible to them. I worked both the day and night shifts in that ward, I was often asked how I coped on so little sleep, I put it quite simply: the children's energy, however little, would somehow rub off on me.

Then one day, my somewhat routined life, was pleasantly interrupted by the arrival of a young girl who had broken her arm while picking oranges. Her name was Alexandria and she was, quite possibly, one of the most curious children I had ever met.