Chapter 13: "What are you?.."

"It had only been a day since the bandits and the two young women had arrived at the Lake Palace. The older one, whose name the Black Bandit had discovered to be Evelyn, was the sister of the young blonde-haired woman. Her name remained a mystery, for Evelyn insisted that her sister should introduce herself. Her sister, however, was strangely silent and spoke not a single word. She would often be seen wandering by herself along the shore of the island, unaware that she was being watched.

It was the second night on the island and the Black Bandit became restless. So, unable to sleep, he decided that perhaps a short walk would help put his mind to rest. As he was making his way to the rooftop garden, a soft almost inaudible singing could be heard. Recognising the voice, he followed it, expecting it to fade away like it always did and leave him wandering if he had imagined it all. This time however, it did not fade but merely grew a little louder each step he took.

Following the voice, he came to a set of steps which in turn, led him to the outside wall of the palace. Stepping onto the sand, he heard the voice come from his right. There he saw a figure kneeling right by the water. Her long hair cascaded down her back where it became silver, thanks to the light of the moon. The fabric of her gown pooled around her as she lent a little over the water and created small ripples with a touch of her finger. Her voice floated to him like a pleasant breeze.

"Nella fantasia io vedo un mondo giusto,
Lì tutti vivono in pace e in onestà.
Io sogno d'anime che sono sempre libere,
Come le nuvole che volano,
Pien' d'umanità in fondo all'anima.

Nella fantasia io vedo un mondo chiaro
Lì anche la notte è meno oscura.
Io sogno d'anime che sono sempre libere,
Come le nuvole che volano.
Pien' d'umanità.

Nella fantasia esiste un vento caldo,
Che soffia sulle città, come amico.
Io sogno d'anime che sono sempre libere,
Come le nuvole che volano,
Pien' d'umanità in fondo all'anima."

He hardly dared move, in case this was some apparition that would vanish if disturbed. Even when her song finished and her voice faded into silence, she remained in the same position. Then, after what seemed like hours, she slowly stood up and froze when she caught sight of the Black Bandit standing there, watching her.
Knowing that she had now seen him, he slowly made his way over to her. She didn't move; it was as though she had become a statue. Her eyes followed his every movement.

"What are you?" His voice was barely above a whisper, hardly daring to believe that his nameless and faceless Singing Angel now stood before him.

Her deep blue eyes looked at him with confusion, "what do you mean? I am human like you," her voice was like a whisper of wind through leaves.

"But how can that be?" Genuine confusion coloured his tone, "how can something so beautiful exist in the mortal world?" He was full of wander, so many times he had imagined what she might look like and sound like if she spoke. Never in his wildest dreams had he imagined her to look and sound as beautiful she did now that he beheld her, "is this a dream? It must be."

She smiled at his words and gently shook her head, "no sir, this is no dream. We are both awake."

Silence hung between them before he spoke, half in wander half in bewilderment, "how is it that I have heard your voice before but have not seen you?"

She shook her head, equally as confused, "you could hear me?"

He smiled and nodded, "many times." Looking down, she tried to hide the blush that threatened to cover her face. "There is no need hide from me," his tone was gentle as he lifted her chin so that their eyes met. "Your song, I do not recognise the language. What was it about?"

She paused a little and turned slightly so that she was looking out across the still lake, "my fantasy. About a perfect world, a world of peace and honesty."

Her voice was almost inaudible, yet he heard it, "if only such a world existed." Looking up at him, she saw a certain sadness in his dark eyes, a sadness that was mirrored in his words.

Neither of them spoke, each letting the words of the other sink in. "Irene."

Blinking, he looked at her, confused, "pardon?"

Smiling, she spoke again, "Irene. My name is Irene."

Realisation spread across his features, "oh. Right. Yes. Of course."

She could not help but laugh at his slightly ruffled state of mind.

"I suppose now that I know your name, you had better know mine." Extending his hand, he introduced himself, "my name is Roy, My Lady."

Laughing and blushing, she too extended her hand. "I'm pleased to meet you Roy," her blush deepened when he took her hand and gently kissed her knuckles.

They spent remainder of the night walking along the shore-line simply talking and occasionally laughing at what the other might have said. The sun was beginning to rise when they began to make their way back to the steps that led inside the palace. Both were about to go their separate ways when he stopped her by gently laying a hand on her arm, "you are free to go Irene, as is your sister."

Tilting her head, Irene looked at him with confusion displayed clearly on her features, "what do you mean?"

For a moment it looked as though he wanted to say more, to say what his heart wanted him to say. After a moment of silence, he took a few steps back and bowed slightly, "I am sorry My Lady," and with those words, he turned and made his way down the hall with her looking confused after him."

Blinking, I straighten myself out of my position of leaning against the door. Roy's voice and story fade and I quickly retreat, lest Alexandria should see me. Making my way a little down the hall, I lean against the wall, Roy's story still echoing in my mind. My breathing is ragged as I recall his description of the young woman; I do not believe that it was merely by chance that she would have exactly the same colour eyes as me as well as bear the same name. That song that she sang was one that my grandmother had taught me. I tried hard to focus as realisation slammed into me, Roy had heard me sing to myself and for some unknown reason had now included me in the story he was weaving for Alexandria. Part of me wanted to know why, why one of his characters looked like me and had my name and why she sang the songs that I sang. We had not even spoken that much recently! In fact, the only signs of life I had from him were the stories I sometimes listened in on and the very rare, almost shy smile.
With a resigned sigh, I pushed myself off the wall and proceeded to make my way down the hall.

Music and Lyrics Credit :

Nella Fantasia - sung by Chloe Agnew from Celtic Woman

Original music and lyrics - Berta Ferraud & Ennio Morricone