Chapter 23: Flickers

(Irene's P.O.V)

With my paperwork clutched close, I left the room and walked right past Alexandria who was patiently waiting for me. "Nurse Irene?" Her voice sounded distant and far away, nevertheless, I stopped and looked down. "Are you alright?"

I smiled and nodded, "yes. Everything is perfect," even though she nodded, I could tell that she was far from convinced. Kneeling down in front of her, I take both her hands in mine and look her in the eye, "would you like to spend the day with Roy? He needs a friend right now."

Her response was immediate, "I would like that very much!"

But as I was about to stand up, I noticed that she looked as though she wanted to say more, "Alexandria? Did you want to say something?"

She seems to think about my question before answering, "you are his friend too."

Her simple statement knocked the wind out of me, once again crouching down to her height, I take her good hand in both of mine. "I wish that were true Alexandria, I really do. But I am not his friend," I pause, looking down, surprised by the sudden tears in my eyes. "Not anymore."

Confused, Alexandria tilts her head to the side, "but why?"

I sigh heavily and stand up, "I do not know my dear. I really don't. Now run along." With those words, she gave me a quick hug before running back into the room I had just left.

The remainder of the day past by in a blur. I only visited Roy when I actually had to and spent the time in between drowning myself in paperwork; anything that would distract me, even remotely. His words or rather the lack of them as well as his sudden change in attitude towards me affected me more that I care to admit. Determined that this would stay between Roy and myself, I put on a brave face whenever I came in contact with or passed by someone.

By the time sunset came around, I had done what felt like a mountain range of paperwork. Feeling pleased with myself, I got up from my desk and stretched before gathering up my things and heading back to the ward to make sure that Alexandria got to bed on time. I was almost there when I was intercepted by a rather excited Evelyn, "Irene! There you are, I have been looking for you everywhere!"

Narrowing my eyes, I give her a questioning look, "Ev? What exactly is going on? Why were you looking for me?"

Huffing impatiently, she loops her arm through mine and pulls me along, "something special is happening tomorrow. Can you guess??" Her excitement is almost child-like and I cannot help but smile.

"No Ev," I shake my head, "but I am sure that you will tell me anyway."

Leading me to nearby bench, Evelyn sits down and pulls me down with her, "tomorrow after lunch we are going to see one of those moving pictures!"

This stuns me, "what, here in the hospital? And what do you mean by we ?"

My shocked reaction does nothing to dampen Evelyn's excitement, "yes!" She nods enthusiastically, "we means all of us, patients and staff! Aren't you excited Irene?!"

Her question breaks me out of my stunned trance and I blink at her before responding, "of course I am Ev. I am just surprised, that is all."

Still stunned by Evelyn's news, I make my way into the ward. Now that I thought about it, I had only ever seen a handful of the moving pictures, I could count the amount on one hand. My work did not leave me much leisure time.

As I neared Roy's room, I could hear Alexandria. I was surprised, for once she was not asking questions; she was, rather, telling Roy of what she wanted to do when she grew up. Moving as quietly as possible, I make my way to the door and wait just outside and every so often I would peek around the corner. I noticed that the curtain around the bed had been drawn to give its occupants some privacy. Entering the room on tip-toe, I quietly lay down my files and move over to the windows and begin to close them.