Chapter 24: Moving Pictures

(Irene's P.O.V)

Smiling, I roll over and look out the window. The sky is clear and a soft wind blows through my open window, ruffling my curtains. Blinking slowly, I breathe in the fresh morning air and stretch. It had been a long while since I had had such a good night's sleep. Lying in bed, I let my eyes wander around the room; it wasn't a particularly large room but it was cozy. Yawning widely, I slipped out of bed and padded my way through to the kitchen to make myself some tea. As I wait for the water to boil, I lean against the counter and briefly close my eyes and let out a happy sigh. I had not felt this relaxed for a good long while. Opening my eyes, I look up at the ceiling and smile; I slowly let my eyes travel around the kitchen, taking everything in and then I see the clock.

I turn into a statue, a living breathing statue. The clock reads 09:30, my shift starts at 08:00 and I like to be there at 07:00. Springing into action, I dash back into my room and throw on my uniform. In my whole five years I had never once been late! Deciding that I could do my hair on the way, I grab my headdress and bolt out the door, only to remember that I had forgotten my files. Running back inside, I head straight to the kitchen table only to discover that they weren't there. At this point I am almost crying with frustration, not to mention that my language had become significantly more colourful until I finally found them on my desk in my room.

I knew that I looked far from presentable by the time I arrived. Quickly ducking into the ward, I drop my files off at the reception and try to ignore the startled look of the other nurses. Exiting the building, I run like a madman across the courtyard towards the Administration building. Bursting into the building, I head straight for reception where I am greeted by a rather amused looking receptionist, "Nice of you to finally join us Irene." I shot her my best annoyed look and took my schedule, I would never live this down, not in a million years. Not bothering to even smile, I turn and bolt out the door.

I slow down by the time I arrive back at the ward and take deep breaths to try and normalise my heart rate. Walking as calmly as I could, I retrieved my files from reception and proceeded to make my way down the hall that lead to Alexandria's room. I had my hand on the doorknob when I heard someone clear their throat behind me. Bracing myself for what I knew was coming, I dropped my hand and turned around. There I came face to face with the unimpressed face of the head nurse, "care to explain why you are so late Nurse Ashford? Your shift started almost two hours ago."

I bit my lip and looked down, not quite sure what to say.

"Well?"

I sighed heavily before looking up, trying to keep my expression neutral, "I am so very sorry Head Nurse. I do not know what came over me," I paused, trying to gauge her reaction so far, "I promise that it will never ever happen again."

Silence follows my words. I start to shift nervously before she speaks, "very well. But mind you keep that promise or you are out, you hear me?" I nod vigorously and let out a breath of relief when she turns and walks the way I had come. This was not a good start to the day.

Turning back to the door, I twist the knob and enter the room. "Nurse Irene! What happened?!" Alexandria's concerned tone reached me before I had fully entered the room. I opened my mouth to reply when I saw that we were not alone, sitting beside Alexandria was Roy who looked more stunned that I had ever seen him.

(Roy's P.O.V)

Irene did not notice me straight away, her attention was focused on Alexandria. In the couple of months that I had known her, she had never looked like this; her uniform was creased and rumpled, her hair was not in its usual strict bun, instead it hung in thick blonde waves down her back, unbrushed. In short it looked as though she just woken up. She looked disheveled but somehow peaceful. I had only heard little parts of the conversation that had occurred between her and the Head Nurse only a few moments ago.