Chapter 17: A Promise

Arriving home, it hit me hard just how exhausted I was. Making my way to my room, I took off my nurse's headdress and released my hair from the tight bun it was in. Not bothering to fully change, I practically fell onto my bed and fell promptly asleep. My sleep was dreamless and for that I was grateful.

I was woken what felt like seconds later, but in reality it was just before sunset. I was woken by Evelyn shaking my arm. Blinking, I look up and see a rather worried look on her features. Seeing that I was awake, she took my hand and basically pulled me out of my bed and would have dragged me out of the house had I not stopped her. "Ev whats going on? What are you doing here?"

Turning to face me, I saw fear and desperation in her eyes, "your presence is requested at the hospital."

Narrowing my eyes, I tilt my head to the side, "what for? By who?"

"Alexandria," and looking me in the eye, she continued in a quieter tone, "She has sustained an injury to her head. She has asked for you and Roy."

My eyes widened in alarm and shock rushed through me. Now it was I who dragged Evelyn out of the house in a rush to get back to the hospital.

I didn't slow my pace even as we neared the hospital. I kept running and was headed in the direction of the Children's Ward when Evelyn pulled me back. "She's not there Irene," seeing my questioning look, she leads me in the opposite direction, towards the Rehabilitation Ward. Despite my agitation, I wordlessly followed her, all the while twisting my hands in my already crumpled apron. But when we entered the ward, we headed into a part of the ward that I had not been to before.

After a few minutes, we came to a stop outside a glass door. I couldn't exactly make out who was on the other side because the glass had been tempered. Thinking only of who could be on the other side, I eagerly pull the door open and step into the room beyond. Seeing another door and no Alexandria, I'm about to pull it open when I hear voices float out to me, they're faint so I can only catch fragments of the conversation.

"He can't win. That's because our masked bandit is a coward. Yeah. He never took an oath, he's a fake. He's a liar and a coward." That could only be Roy, but why did he sound like he was crying? With my ear pressed to the door, I listen for Alexandria's response that I knew was coming.

"You're lying."

"No. He had his fingers crossed. He has to die."

"I don't believe you."

"He's dying."

"Don't kill him."

I'm surprised when I feel something wet on my face, touching my cheeks, I see that I had in fact been crying. Taking a deep shuddering breath, I pull the door open as quietly as I could and step through. I clench my teeth to try and keep quiet so I don't disturb them. "There's nothing left for him," I look up at the sound of Roy's voice, quieter than before. What I see strikes a blow to my heart; his handsome face is tear stained and his dark eyes are filled with such grief and heartbreak and utter forlornness.

Alexandria is facing away from me, "what about the Singing Angel? She rescued him!" Her voice holds a tone of pleading that I have never heard before and I almost forget how to breathe.

"I thought it was only a dream!" I spoke more to myself as I realised that my dream had in fact been part of Roy's story.

"She had to do it. She was paid," I hear the conviction in Roy's voice, almost like he's trying to convince himself.

"How do you know that?" Alexandria's voice sounds almost disbelieving and I look to Roy as I await his answer.

"She told me," the sadness in his voice is like an icy dagger to my already damaged heart.

"She was scared," I smile sadly at the determination in Alexandria's voice.

"Scared of what?" His voice wobbles a little and I can see the threat of tears.

"Scared of telling the truth," Alexandria's answer confuses me and I struggle to make sense of it.

"Please don't kill him," my whispered plea comes out unexpectedly but I make no move to cover my mouth. Roy looks up at the sound of my voice, "promise me you won't kill him," the desperation in my voice surprises me. I hold Roy's gaze, sending a silent plea his way, "if not for me, then for Alexandria."

I slowly make my way over to Alexandria's bed and brace my hands against it for support. Seeing me, Alexandria reaches out and takes one of my hands, I smile tearfully down at her and gently squeeze her hand. Briefly smiling in return, she turns back to Roy whose gaze is still fixed on me. "I don't want you to die. Roy. Don't kill him. Let him live. Let him live. Don't kill him. Roy? Promise? And don't cross your fingers."

Looking back to Roy, I see that he's looking down in a defeated manner, "promise."

I sigh with relief at his words but Alexandria is not so easily convinced, "show me your hands."

At her insistence, Roy shows her his hands, "see!"

I listen enraptured as Roy continues the story and when it is time for he and I to leave, I place a gentle kiss on Alexandria's forehead, "sleep well angel and I shall see you in the morning." I get a sleepy smile in response. Waiting until Roy had said his goodbyes, I wordlessly turned and wheeled him out of the room and back to his.

I still hadn't said a word by the time we reached his bed. As I was helping back into bed, he held onto me for support, "don't let go," the words were whispered and almost shy.

My response was immediate, "I will never let go." I smiled gently as I helped to settle him, "that is a promise." Silence answered me but I could have sworn that his dark eyes glistened with unmistakable shine of tears.