Chapter Thirty-Five

Start from the beginning

"Yes, our best friend, Maya. Do you like her? Do you love her? Do you want to marry her, make babies and grow old together?" Em asked hysterically.

"Woah what?" Jack asked with a shock.

"She means would you go to the Prom with her?" I asked him, holding back a high Em who grinning spastically at Jack in anticipation. God, I won't be surprised if he runs in the opposite direction from us.

"Prom? With Maya? Not really." He said.

Our excitement and smiles faltered upon hearing his answer. I could feel Em's glare on me as I was the one who concluded to Jack being the one. I let out a dejected sigh as I unbelievingly gaped at him. "How can you not like Maya? I saw you looking at her the way Channing Tatum looks at Jenna Dewan. Then why?" I asked him, incredulously.

Jack let out a sigh, looking up at the ceiling before turning his gaze back towards us. "It's not like I don't like Maya. I do." Jay explained.

"Then what is your damn problem?" Em asked, annoyance floating in her voice. I held Em back by her wrist, fearing her to bang his head against the table. Sensing Em's hostility, apprehension took over Jack as he squirmed uncomfortably under Em's menacing glare.

"Jack?" I coaxed.

"She doesn't feel the same way for me." He said with a dejected look.

Oh.

"Grace and I can play Cupid for you. You just have to open then pretty little mouth of yours and ask her out. Simple." Em chirped merrily.

"You don't understand, ugh!" Jack exclaimed. "Look, as much as I want to take Maya to prom, I can't."

"But how can she not like you back?" I murmured to no one in particular. Apparently, my words fell upon their ears which made Em burst out.

"Because she's fucking blind! Why can't she just be open with us? It would've made our work easier." Em grumbled.

"You guys, I think you should talk to her. I know why she's reluctant to go out with me, but it ain't my place to tell y'all. Talk to her, I know she will tell you the truth." Jack said with a small smile.

We complied by him. I gave him a hug before turning back. But I stopped in my tracks when I heard him call my name. "Yeah?" I asked him.

"Good luck for the baby." He smiled, giving me a thumbs up.

"Thank you, Jack. I'll see you around." I waved at him, exiting the laboratory with melancholy for not being successful in our mission. If not Jack, who was Maya implying about, back at my place. I was pulled out of my reverie as Em clicked her fingers in front of me.

"Why was the Jack dude calling me 'Tube-light girl'?" Em asked me.

"Long story, Emily. Long story." I said with a laugh, as we made our way towards our lockers since lunch was almost over.

-

Blake placed a chaste kiss on my lips before walking over to the oven to bake the butterscotch cookies. Setting the temperature, he closed the oven and turned towards me with a small smile. "Should be ready in some time. What do you want to do until then?" He asked, suggestively wiggling his eyebrows.