2- Shayna

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

A tear slips from my eye as I finish The Great Gatsby for the hundredth time. It has been up there in the list since the first time I read it.

"Shayna, you crazy child, go home it's closing time," the librarian, Ms. Bell chimed.

She had a soft monotone voice and a permenant scowl eitched on her face and right now it was evident and directed towards me, like usual.

I spare a quick glance at my watch as I hastily gathered my belongings. Damn, it's already nine in the evening. I always manage to spend longer than I should at the library, that is four hours longer, one cannot simply get up and leave in the middle of of finishing a novel. That thought caused a scowl of my own to appear, if I had been five seconds late I wouldn't have been able to finish my book, I'm getting slow.

"Shayna, now!" She whispered or shouted, or both.

"I'm leaving, I'm leaving," I whisper back and scramble to the door.

As soon as I exit, the door behind me is closed shut as Ms. Bell locks the doors and walks her merry way home. I look around and notice how dark it has gotten and it makes me involuntarily shudder. Stupid. Should definitely not have waited till nightfall to leave!

I scamper onto the street and start walking, taking two steps at a time, the faster I get home, the better. The only thing keeping me from hyperventilating is the thought that my house is only a block away, only.

Yesterday, I turned the humble age of eighteen and today is my last day home, my not so blissful weekend with my dysfunctional family has come to a close. It had been a good day, got to have a delicious fudge cake, recieved presents from my family and all of our relatives who sent them via mail. I even went to the local dinner where a small party had been arranged with all my childhood friends and my family members. One day of pure bliss, from start to end and then to spend the whole night watching corny romantics movies with my friends, yes a blissful day indeed. I heave out a sigh and continue on walking, picking up the pace with each step until I am almost running.

I don't stop even as my heart palpitates in my chest upon noticing no lit streetlights. Dark, it's my worst fear, I hate the dark, I hate it I hate it I absolutely hate it.

The streets that I've grown up running about don't seem welcoming, they seem malicious as they smile wickedly through the dark, the air seems colder and the street ahead seems to hold, what my mind perceives as frightening demons lurking in the shadows.

My brain goes haywire as the sound of my heart echoes loudly in my ears upon hearing footsteps behind me. I don't look behind and I most certainly do not stop for them to catch up to me. I run as fast as I can, my lungs burning and my legs protesting but I don't stop, I run with a desperation, I need to get home.
'Home home home home home home,' my brain recites again and again to keep me going.

You know the horror scenes you watch in corny movies, where the character is being chased by the bad guy, well it sure as hell feels like that, the only difference is I don't feel like laughing as I relive that scene.

The only sounds in the whole street are our footsteps, they echo through the street and I mentally rejoice as I look ahead at the lit streetlights near the wooden bench just a cornor away from my house. Just a few more minute and I'll be in the safety of my house, just a few more.

At this point all I see is the streetlight beckoning me forward, towards the yellow light, an escape from the darkness. In those moments I don't realize that the footsteps behind me have stopped, my ears strain to hear them but fail to. What? Is this apart of my imagination? Just then I hear the sound of glass shattering on the ground, just a few meters behind me. My heart beats like its in high drive as I hear a voice softly curse. My brain congures up multiple scenarios where I see death and blood, which makes my heart even weaker. I run faster to escape the sounds and the faceless demon behind them.

I make it to the streetlight and swiftly turn the corner, I won't stop, not until I'm inside my house. I run even faster if it's possible as I see my house only a few meters away, at this point my legs are ready to give away under me as I push them even further, my throat is sparse and I feel the adrenaline pumping in my veins.

I rejoice in my mind as I reach the front steps of my house and that's when I stop to catch my breath. Just as I place my hand on the door nob I feel someone come up behind me and before I can react, place a cloth on my face. As soon as the smell of chemicals hits my nose, my head starts feeling heavy, my body starts shutting down as the thought of death crosses my mind. The man holding me down now picks me up and starts walking into the dark street. In my blurry vision I look back at my house to see a figure standing in the middle of the street, staring at me with pitch black eyes which seemed to glow in the dark. Before I could question my mind, I feel my senses dull and my heavy eyelids finally close just as the figure flashes into my house, it's malicious grin being the last thing my eyes catch and before I know it I am surrounded by the thing I was originally trying to escape, the darkness.
_____________
So, sorry for the long haitus, but here it is. It's a bit short but I wanted the reveal to be in the seperate chapter, it seemed much more fitting.

Anyways what is your favourite book? or one of the many favourite books you have? :P

Thank you all for the lovely comments and support ily :))

VOTE
AND
COMMENT

~peace~