If I Stay Chapter 22

*Dan's POV*

-Flashback-

The best day of my life was one I never even saw coming. It was a normal day in early Autumn before things started to go bad with Phil. In some ways, it was just like a usual potluck dinner. But there was
a special feel to it. People kept on showing up. All the old friends from Dad's band days and the new ones from Phil's band. Lucy and Greg were there with their newborn baby. Dad hauled the barbecue out of the basement and he and Adrian spent the day flipping burgers. And when it started to get dark Harry had the bright idea to start a bonfire.

_

Everyone surrounded the bonfire clapping and singing.

"Dan!" My dad called.

I turned around to see Phil holding my keyboard and my dad holding its stand.

"No way, I'm not playing for you guys."

"Not for us, with us." He corrected me.

"Seriously Dan," Pj walked over. "If you don't, I will. And have you ever heard the sound of a thousand dying cats?"

"Come on, Howell. We're playing together." Phil Smirks.

"I really hate you all." I laugh. And walk over to a seat, next to Phil, with my keyboard.

I bit my lip trying to keep my eyes open whilst playing. I stare at Phil and grin as he does the same to me. Everyone was singing along and dancing to Phil's amazing song.

I've always thought of the piano as a solo instrument. It's probably why It's always made me feel so comfortable. Just me and my piano. But that night, sitting around the bonfire, jamming with Phil and everyone else, I realised I was wrong. The piano is not a solo instrument. It's part of something bigger.

The thing is mum and dad always had their scene. And Phil had his. And I was always jealous that I didn't have mine. Until the night of the bonfire. That was my scene. That's where I belonged. This is what happiness felt like.

But that could never exist again...