Chapter 14

Disclaimer: Twilight and all of the sexy characters belong to Stephenie Meyer, not me. Sadly.

Here We Go Again

Chapter Fourteen

EPOV

Monday couldn't come around quick enough. All weekend I'd been driving everyone crazy with my impatience. Although we were all excited, nobody could deny I was desperate to get back to school. Being away from my Bella for two whole days did not sit well with me, by Saturday night I was becoming increasingly frantic. Knowing Bella was in the same town as me and I was unable to see her, made my ever present longing flair up sickeningly. I foolishly decided to go scouting for her scent again. I knew it would be impossible to find her knowing now about her gift, but I couldn't just sit at home watching the clock.

By Sunday morning I was back at home, defeated sitting at my baby grand piano. There was a foolish hopefulness coursing through my body as I searched for her, hoping that there was a possibility I could stumble across her at some point. I was glad I'd tried, I would rather have taken that rare chance than do nothing at all.

Running my hands slowly across the keys, I heard all motion in the house come to a stand still. Everyone was eager to hear me play, it'd been so long since I went near my piano. When Bella was no longer a part of my life, music no longer captured my interest, nothing did. I had stopped playing altogether, yet Esme made sure every house we moved to housed my piano. They all hoped one day I would come to enjoy my music again.

Very aware of my listening family, I hesitantly started playing a few light scales. While Carlisle was sat in his room reading, he watched Esme slowly close her eyes and smile peacefully into the room. Their thoughts were in sync listening to the gentle rise and fall of the soft haunting music my hands were producing. They were so happy. After five minutes the entire family had joined me in the living room, seating themselves on the sofas with their other halves. Hearing the enjoyment my playing was bringing to my family, I felt a strong pang of guilt for depriving them for so long. To make it up to them in a small way I started playing Esme's favourite. Her quiet gasp and delighted rambling thoughts brought a smile to my face. She gradually began humming along while smiling beautifully.

As soon as her song came to an end, she stood up to come and thank me, but before she could make it to me, my fingers took on a life of their own. My shoulders hunched from the pain constricting my heart, as I unintentionally began playing my Bella's lullaby. Images flashed before my eyes making my hands falter in their rhythm. I saw the first time I had played this song to Bella with her pressed close to my side. I saw the single happy tear roll down her delicate cheek as she realised just how much I love her. I saw all of the nights I lay humming this very tune to her sleeping form, while I lovingly held her safely in my arms.

The last note hung for a while in the silence of the room, the despair consuming me overwhelmed my fragile state. Esme moved behind me and put a reassuring hand on my shoulder, It did little to calm the sobs quietly escaping my lips.

"Son. Please, look at me." I turned my body to face my mother, bowing my head under the weight of my depression.

She gently placed a finger under my chin, raising my head to look into her eyes. The emotions on her face surprised me enough to get a little more control of my emotions. Sadness, pity and most of all determination shone across her reassuring face.

"Edward. You will get to play Bella her lullaby again, I'm sure of it." She sat next to me on the bench and wrapped her arms around me. "I know how badly you want her back Edward but think of the progress we've made. Just give it a bit more time, I'm confident we can win her back."

The confidence in her voice was comforting, and the hope from earlier was quickly returning.

At seeing some of the sadness disappear from my face, she smiled gently and said the words that swiftly brought my hope back full force."After all she said she'll see you Monday."