Chapter Sixteen | Part II

Mulai dari awal

     "The power of the four," Ava-Rain answered.

     I turned my head and looked at her as her hand slipped into mine once she took her place by my side. It was her mind that I had broken into with the only weapons that I had in my arsenal, so it wasn't a surprise to hear that Ava-Rain was very aware that the four elements were responsible. But in doing so, a part of me had been revealed to her. A part of me that had literally broken in and invaded her. And although the objective was to save her, to bring her back safe and sound through any means necessary, there was a part of me that just couldn't find absolute comfort in knowing that the power of the four broke through the single most important barrier that kept her mind protected from me.

     What I had faced inside of her mind were the four elements trying to destroy us both, so how could I ever be content with that? How could I ever again make her a promise that no harm would come to her by my own doing?

     Almost as if she sensed that I was going to pull my hand out of hers, she latched on tighter. "Caleb saved me using the elements he was blessed with."

     "It still should have been next to impossible," Angelie countered.

     "Well, possibilities are bred from impossibilities," Ava-Rain answered Angelie with just the right amount of attitude to make both my wolf and myself proud. "And as much as I would love to tell you every little detail of what just took place inside of my mind, it's much faster to just say that we have to go find Kasey and her family. One of the wolf's memories took place at their family cottage. I don't know why or what it even means, but what I do know is that I need to go check on them. I need to make sure they're okay."

     It was that particular memory that Ava-Rain had been distracted by, which ultimately led to her mind beginning to shut down. She had been frozen, or rather, locked inside of herself because her mind was focused so intently on it, distracting her from the task at hand. Not that I cared about the pure bloods memories anymore. I almost lost my mate over them and she was far more important to me than the nameless pure blood that had attacked her.

But from what I could gather from that single memory that I had been thrusted into, after seeing through the wolf's eyes and feeling everything that he had felt as he watched the Hellands from afar, was his overwhelming anger and the feeling of resistance. I don't know why or what it meant either, but the pure bloods were watching Kasey and her family for a reason.

     And that couldn't have been a good sign.

     "I'll send some of the boys to check on them," I said after turning to Ava-Rain. I expected the immediate reaction of her pulling her hand out of mine, but the loss of her warmth had impacted me in a way that it never had before.

     "Well then I'm going with them," she added. She went to walk away, but was only able to take a single step forward before her hand shot up and clutched the side of her head.

     Because I was so close, I was able to catch her before she fell to the floor. Clearly, my stubborn yet determined mate was in no shape to be going anywhere, especially not after what she had just gone through. "No, you're not," I whispered as my eyes skimmed over the exhaustion she was trying to hide written all over her face. "Kane, Chase," I looked up and sought out my betas, "take Harrison and Stryder—"

     "No," Ava-Rain cut me off and pulled herself out of my arms. "The Hellands are my family. They mean everything to me and I'm not going to just sit here and wait for word, Caleb."

     "First of all," I reached out to pull her back to me, but she intentionally crossed her arms over her chest to prevent my actions, "we don't even know when this memory took place. It could have been a while ago, before you talked to Kasey. And if that's the case, then she's already assured you that she and her family are fine."