Lost Deer

Lost

Terrian jumped over the fallen log still looking for the butterfly. Unfortunately, he had lost it when he crossed the stream a while back. Sighing, he hoped that the butterfly would appear again but he was disappointed. His stomach complained and he looked for some edible grass to nibble. The grass sure was sweet in this part of the land.

Shoot!

He was hopelessly lost in some unknown land. Kayla would be furious as she usually was. This time, he wasn’t sure that he was still in Springtown. His parents did mention something about the woods being more dangerous than ever. That was before the rumours about the Dark Mages launching some kind of attack. So far, they have yet to see any attack and Terrian preferred to run around freely without being scolded.

His parents were too uptight and yet, try as he might, he could not shake off the feeling that he was being watched. Nothing had jumped out at him but he felt like he was being hunted and the feeling gave him the shivers. The shadows on the forest floor was creeping him out but he stood his ground. A faint scent caught his nose and he turned towards it.

As he took another step, he heard a soft moan. It sounded like whatever it was, was in pain. He heard another sound, this time, a grunt and a tiny scream before he saw the most beautiful deer he had ever seen. She was licking her wound and it looked like she had managed to free herself from whatever that had attacked her. When she turned to look at him, he drowned in her eyes. Tiny flecks of gold seemed to be dancing in them and he sighed happily.

‘Who are you?’ she asked coldly. That was not what he expected.

Stepping back away as if he had been challenged, he cleared his thoughts before answering her, ‘Why?’ He didn’t want to answer her question from the way she had asked. He had not even done anything wrong and her cold demeanour was making him angry.

‘What do you mean,’ she gasped as she used her injured leg accidentally when she stepped forward. Terrian held himself back from checking on her injury. He was not sure if she would attack him despite her situation. ‘Go away.’ She sounded tired.

However, he didn’t want to leave. The woods was still dangerous and even more so when she was injured. ‘Are you lost?’

She stared at him, baffled that he was still there despite her mean words. ‘Just go away, will you?’

‘No.’

‘Why?’ she demanded. Usually, the young stags would escape from her wrath, this one was standing up to her and she was secretly pleased but she kept glowering at him to test him again.

Undeterred, Terrian took a small step towards her and another when she didn’t stop him. He surprised her by nuzzling her for a minute before ensuring that her leg wound was not life threatening. It was a deep cut and he knew of a herb that was nearby that would stop the bleeding. ‘Stay,’ he commanded and trotted off to look for the herb.

When he returned, he was relieved that she had stayed and proceeded to chew the leaves before spitting them out to be placed on her injury. She squirmed at the sharp sting but it quickly cooled after a while. Terrian took off again and she wondered if he would return. Night was approaching and the open space was dangerous. She berated herself again at her stupidity for running away from her brother who was just trying to protect her.

He was stopping her from looking for the Dark Mage and she was yelling that she wanted to have revenge for their parents. She knew she had nothing to win the fight against Lord Fakan but she could always try and perhaps give him a new scar. However, when her brother decided to lock her in a cave, she bolted. Now, she was lost with some strange deer who seemed to be friendly in a way and an injured leg.