Dancer in the Rain

North America - About Eight Years Earlier

One of the wonders in life is that particular moment when one unexpectedly encounters for the very first time someone remarkably unusual. That individual who seems so extraordinarily different from everyone else one knew up until that magic instant. That unique, je ne sais quoi person who completely changes the direction of one's life so that every day after can never truly be the same as it was.

I was one of those fortunate ones, perhaps for no explanation other than having been selected by fate because one of those unrepeatable encounters did occur in my life. Only once I should add, but my life has never been the same since because of her.

On that particular warm humid summer afternoon heavy flood-like rain was pouring out of the sky but she seemed oblivious to being totally soaked. For me, that defining image of her would be lifetime unforgettable; long waterlogged straight black hair freely flipping around and flapping against her pretty, bright strawberry-coloured dress in a beautiful defiant contrast against everything gray the weather had to show.

 For me, that defining image of her would be lifetime unforgettable; long waterlogged straight black hair freely flipping around and flapping against her pretty, bright strawberry-coloured dress in a beautiful defiant contrast against everything g...

Haiku by Allison Paige used by permission and with thanks.

Check out Allison's works here on Wattpad as Alliated.

https://www.wattpad.com/story/158478010-dreams-and-desires

_________________________________________________________

The one thing about her that was so unusual was that she was dancing in the deluge, barefoot out in the middle of the road, jumping and twirling around with total abandon and completely ignoring the honking traffic racing by on both sides of her. As the rain intensified, she stretched out her arms and her tempo slowed. I noticed rain bouncing off her tan-coloured skin and when she finally paused; she was looking upward, smiling is if filled with pure joy.

She must have sensed that someone was watching her. Stopping and standing statue-like, she turned only her head, looked over at me and penetratingly stared but said nothing at all. Her now emotionless gaze made me feel like she was staring right into me or through me rather than at me, and suddenly feeling embarrassed I looked down at the ground.

Glancing up a moment later, she'd vanished.

"Impossible!" utterly astounded.

No one could have disappeared that quickly because there was nowhere to hide.

For a second I thought she'd been she been struck and carried away by a passing vehicle but nothing had just driven by and the road was clear of traffic as far as I could see in both directions.

"Did I only imagine you and what I saw?" bewitched in disbelief.

Moments earlier I had quickly taken refuge from the sudden downpour in a bus stop shelter, impatiently waiting for the intensifying shower to pass. I hadn't seen her at first because my attention had been focused on an umbrella that had been forgotten on the bench. I was debating whether or not to snatch the timely prize and put it to use rather than continue waiting, and that was the exact moment when I noticed her for the very first time.