Chapter 4- Are You a Mark Bearer or Not?

Start from the beginning

"You can open your eyes now. I know you're awake."

As soon as Bastian heard these words, he opened his eyes, only to find Ben sneering at him. Like he was a trapped animal, whose sole purpose was to amuse him

...

Sitting cross legged on the makeshift bed, Bastian was fully occupied with his current activity.

"Ha."

After drinking a cup of water and eating some bread, Bastian sighed in relief. Although he still felt a little hungry, his thirst was quenched, lessening his burden.

Ben stared at all of Bastian's actions. Eyeing him like a hawk. Bastian found this rather uncomfortable, showing his displeasure on his face without reserve.

Ben: "Don't you want to know how I knew you were awake?"

Bastian: "Nope, I don't care."

Ben was amused by Bastian's response. He was aware that Bastian had heard their entire conversation. He was also aware that Bastian knew his current situation. Yet after all of this, the boy was calm.

Sitting on the bed with a bored expression on his face; like he had no worry in the world.

This isn't the look a little boy should have.

Ben was rather disturbed by what he was seeing. He was a man who enjoyed seeing others suffer. It made him feel powerful and in control. He was looking forward to seeing a pampered little boy, cower before him begging for his life. The boy just laid there lazily on the bed like he had no care in the world. This completely baffled Ben. This is boy is supposed to be a noble boy, who had never suffered. He knew how ignorant and easy it was to assume that the privileged face no difficulties, but he couldn't help it, he wanted to see this boy cower in an unfamiliar fear.

Perhaps, this young man knew more about suffering than most nobles.

There are plenty of battle hardened nobles but almost all have cultivation, not to mention they have to at least be of a certain age. Yet this boy acted as if nothing was going to happen to him.

No. It's impossible. He's probably pretending.

After assuring himself, Ben decided to probe the boy. He walked over to his bed and said with a condescending tone "You know what going to happen to you right?"

"You're probably going to sell me to a slave trader." Said Bastian, like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

Ben was angered by Bastian's nonchalance. He grabbed Bastian by the hand and lifted him up, staring straight into his eyes in an attempt to scare the lad. Bastian immediately turned his face away, his expression showing extreme discomfort.

"Ha-ha, your acting isn't that good. Look at you. Why don't you admit you're afraid." said Ben with a face that showed that he was very pleased with himself.

"Please, I beg you let me go." As Bastian said these words his body was trembling. Ben's face lit up in twisted delight. "Please let me go, I can't stand your awful breath. If I smell it any longer I might get sick." said Bastian with a hint of mockery in his tone. Whilst saying these words, Bastian also used his free hand to cover his nose.

As soon as Ben heard these words his face became ugly. Bastian snorted in disdain at Ben's reaction.

Ben's body started trembling; rage filling up every cell of his body. Bastian knew full well that the value of a slave dropped if it had any physical defects or injuries. So he knew Ben would not harm him. Not to mention Bastian could tell that Ben was not a foolish man. He was clearly the type who put benefit above all else.