Unjust Flame Wave

"Junior Phantasma of the Falsified Daughters, slave of the Thunder Tiger Emperor, greets senior."

Phantasma lost all of her airs as she hurriedly knelt. The ground had frozen over and the cold had started to pierce her flesh, but she did not care. From her perspective, only a being higher than the Fusion Realm could do such a thing to her without using World Energy actively.

He was not using any technique or spell matrix. That much was clear. 

'These flames are some sort of passive skill. He is trying to show his strength to me. That means he has pride, I need to tread carefully.'

In the higher levels far above the Fusion Realm, one's body would become part of nature. Allowing one to cause supernatural phenomena without releasing a single iota of World Energy. The flames were a manifestation of heat energy, but they were not born from World Energy and seemed to stem from Kenshin himself. Clearly, their quality was of a supreme tier and were part of the cloaked man's body

'He could be at the Peak of the Fusion Realm, or even worse…'

So as to not anger Bastian's 'Master', Phantasma followed proper cultivator decorum a junior should show a top-tier expert. 

'This is the man who almost blew over the Cole family compound. His temper must not be provoked.'

Looking back at the events of that night caused Phantasma to break out into a cold sweat.

'He was able to move so much wind without alerting the other experts in the city. There is no doubt about it. He is far stronger than a mere Bhasera Dwight.'

Power was the currency, law, and language of the Sovereign Continent. Phantasma started to regret ever underestimating Bastian. She was worried that her short life would end there. 

"Do not be afraid young one. You may rise. You are my dear disciple's ally. I see no need to harm you."

Kenshin was speaking, but Bastian had written the script. The duo were using the Medici Network to communicate. Kenshin was not as emotionally intelligent as Bastian. The Medici Matrix could not change that. It could only enhance mental traits that were already there. Bastian on the other hand was quite manipulative. 

He could observe microexpressions and carefully analyze humans in ways people on the Sovereign Continent could not predict.

The Falsified Daughters were masters of controlling their emotional state, but not in this case. The suppression of the flames had reduced Phantasma to being a scared little girl. Her face was still hidden, but her body language spoke volumes to Bastian. The plan was however simple. Not to mention that their original objective had already been achieved.

Phantasma was far too weak to even detect what the duo were doing through the network. Any energy fluctuations went over her head. So Bastian was unhindered in his use of power. Brazenly activating the Medici Matrix despite the fact that Phantasma was there.

'He said dear disciple? He values Bastian?'

While her body had become sluggish, her mind had not. She still had most of her mental faculties. 

"Thank you for your kindness senior."

Phantasma, much to her own shock, had found herself standing. She had intended to feign humility by remaining in a kneeling position, but her body had gone against her wishes.

'It's like his voice had mesmerized me. Even his speech has such a nasty effect. What else can he make me do?'

Kenshin turned to Bastian, who said, "Master, I'm here to report the plan and request for your aid."

Bastian's silhouette had appeared next to Phantasma. He bowed slightly and started to narrate his plan. Phantasma was stunned by how informal Bastian was, like an ordinary villager talking to a kind familiar uncle. There were many facets of their conversation that struck Phantasma as odd. 

After Bastian had finished explaining his plan in full, his 'Master' finally gave him an evaluation. 

"Splendid, it's quite detailed. I like your preparation. Remember, we are mages. Preparation is three-quarters of the battle for us. I would interfere earlier but this is a necessary trial for you. I want to see just how long you can endure until I step in."

"Yes, Master."

'This disciple and master pair is odd. No greeting each other? Just a slight bow and that's it?'

Phantasma found this very odd but kept silent. She tried to reduce her presence as much as possible. The suppression she felt from the flames had plateaued and maintained at the same level. She did not want that to change. But life is odd, just because she did not want change, did not mean others would not.

Kenshin raised a hand, causing Phantasma's heart to stir. The hand, like the rest of his body, was cloaked in flames, down to the tips of his fingers. The hand aimed at Bastian.

"Now to see if you have not been slacking in your studies."

Bastian waved his arms about defensively and said, "Woah old man, you could destroy this place before the dragon does."

Bastian's words caused Phantasma's mind to pause.
, 'Eh? Did he just day old man? Destroy this place?'

"See how I deal with that cheeky tongue of yours brat." 

A bad premonition filled Phantasma's heart as the hand started to gather the World Energy Around them. Phantasma wanted to run but she did not dare to. 

'Even if I tried to lift my legs…'

The suppression she felt caused her body to almost freeze in place. All Kenshin had done was raise a hand and gather World Energy, but that had been enough to make it difficult for her to breathe.

'So this is what he is like when he actively uses World Energy.'

"Unjust Flames."

With a cool chant from Kenshin, a large wave of flames roared into existence. The flames were an extension of the ones coating Kenshin and extended outward, straight toward Bastian and Phantasma. Kenshin had not been far, but he was able to generate a large wall of flames in a small space within a fraction of a second.

'I'm done for.' 

Phantasma was confident that this was going to be her last thought as she closed her eyes. She was under so much suppression that she could not even raise her arms to react, but in front of such flames, that did not even matter.

The pain she expected to feel did not come, however. Instead, an incredible chill passed by her sides. This forced her to cautiously open her eyes. An image she will never forget assailed her vision.