❀ chapter thirty-nine | home ❀

Start from the beginning

"What do you think of all this?" I asked Talia.

"I think it's about time we came back," she said, holding the door open for me so I could carry a crate of flowers inside. "I'll be spending as much time as I can here now. Job interviews are rough. I thought graduating was supposed to mean you made it."

"Not in this economy, I guess," I said, setting down the crate. "But does that mean Jack won't be back?"

Talia gave me a look as she let the door close behind her. "I thought you didn't want him here."

Definitely old news. I looked away.

Talia stepped forward. "What's going on between you two?"

"Well, we did kind of kiss in the woods when we were lost together."

She gasped. "¿En serio?"

I refused to meet her gaze. "It was kind of like a this might be the last night of our lives, so might as well do it while we can sort of thing?"

"Gosh. We were so worried about you that night, and you and Jack were just... never mind. Do you like him? Since when?"

"Yeah," I said. "Since... maybe... the moment he said his first words to me. Go to hell."

Talia laughed. "Does he like you back?"

"I think so."

"Then what are you waiting for? Ask him out!"

"I don't even know where his head is at."

"This is very exciting," she said with a smirk. "I can't believe you have a crush. The sociopath has—"

"Don't even say the sociopath has feeeeelings right now."

"I can't resist! La sociopata tiene sentimieeeentoos."

"It's unnatural."

"It's adorable! I'm envious. I'm so tired of being single."

"Hey, I'm still single, too."

"For now."

I rolled my eyes. "Come on. Let's go finish unpacking before the flowers wilt."

❀ ❀ ❀

Thoughts of Jack looped in my head. His words, his arms around my waist, the way his voice had gone from soft to assertive the longer we argued.

He still hadn't texted me, and I needed a distraction. So, despite it already being dark by 5 pm, I went for a walk around my neighborhood. I was wearing the same jacket I wore during my lost-in-the-wilderness birthday.

My phone rang. An 808 number, which meant Hawai'i. Who was this? Tetsuo's ghost finally coming to reveal that he left me his fortune?

But it was Grace's voice from the other line.

"Hi. I didn't want to upset you by showing up unannounced... so I thought I'd call you."

I put up my hood to protect from the light rain. "And talk about what?"

"How's your winter break?"

"Um, it's fine. I went back to work. I appreciate you giving up on the shop. It really was the least you could do."

"Yes. I'm sorry."

"Do your sorries come in cash or credit? Because I'm needing the extra help."

Grace laughed. "You're funny, Romy."

"I definitely don't get it from you. Or Dad. I'm honestly an anomaly."

The One Without WordsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara