40. The Unexpected Unfolds

Start from the beginning

"I like it Rino", I told him, "It looks good on you"

"Aww thanks Anna", Rino beamed, "I'll tell Prophecy to make one for you too"

Both mine and Zuerien's eyes went wide in horror and I looked up at him worriedly while he gave me a you-brought-this-on-yourself look.

"That is if she hasn't already made one for you", Rino added making my head shoot back towards him.

"U-uh...is that so?"

"Mm-hmm", he nodded, "She did tell me she didn't want to meet the Queen empty handed. But now that I think about it, I wonder if I ruined her surprise by telling you", he said thoughtfully but then shrugged, "Ah well! Who wants candy?"

Loud shouts sounded from the room on the side as children flooded the corridor. Rino and I laughed and I added, "Count me in too!"

"Come on!" Rino said turning and walking towards the dining room, "I got the candy from the lounge"

"Was that why you were wrestling with the candy machine last night?" Zuerien asked incredulously and he nodded.

"Yeah. I wanted to know how it works. But man! It's complicated!" he said, his eyes widening in recollection, "Luckily I went there with Del earlier and he showed me how it works, so I got lots of it for the kids"

"So Del was the one who brought you here?" I asked and he nodded.

"Explains how he didn't get lost", Zuerien whispered to me and I slapped his chest playfully.

Once in the dining room, Rino placed Ginny on one of the chairs at the humongous table. All the other children took their places too, and quickly started eating the food that we had brought along with many other snacks that were already in the cabinets.

At the sight of all their happy faces on hearing their laughs and gleeful chatter, I felt an overwhelming love well up inside of me and I found myself hoping that all these little darlings could stay this happy forever.

"It's all because of the Alpha", Ms. Maria said and I turned towards her to find her looking lovingly at the children, "He was the one who had this orphanage built, as well as all the others around the world"

"There are others?" I asked and she nodded, "There are many others, one in every pack, in order to ensure that the orphan children never get neglected"

Warmth filled my heart and I turned to look at Zuerien who was busy trying to stop Rino from shoving a cake piece into his mouth.

"The Alpha has always taken care of the children here", Ms. Maria said, "Taking out time from his busy schedule to visit them, providing for all their education as well as daily needs, lavishing them with everything they want. These children never feel alone because they know they have an Alpha who cares for them", she looked at me and smiled affectionately, "And now...a Luna too"

I smiled wholeheartedly at her, before looking around the large dining room. It was large and spacious and comfortably furnished. There was air conditioning for the summer, heating for the winter and appropriate lighting facilities. The floors and walls were clean, the food was abundant, and every child wore nice and comfortable clothing.

This was the first time I had seen an orphanage where the children were this happy. Had I and Karina grown up in a place like this, we would have had many fond memories of our childhoods. Zuerien had made sure that he provided the children with everything their parents would have given them, not letting them lack a thing.

As my eyes focused on the tall frame of my mate, finally giving in and taking a bite from the cake piece, I felt tears prick my eyes as my affection for him grew double fold.