40. The Unexpected Unfolds

Start from the beginning

My heart skipped a beat at his words and he smirked devilishly at me before adding, "And when I win the finals day after tomorrow, you're going to regret having provoked me"

*****

I had spent almost the entire walk there, asking and asking and asking some more, and I had finally given up, knowing that Zuerien would not tell me what it was he was going to get me to do if- when he won. He had spent the rest of the walk mind-linking various people, but not before making it very clear to me that there would be no backing out, no turning back.

And to say that it had made me nervous just didn't quite cut it...

The minute we reached the orphanage, we were surrounded by grinning and shouting children who grabbed our hands and hugged our feet. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they all seemed extremely fond of Zuerien who might not have laughed out loud or picked them up and hugged them, but did caress a few of their heads and give them all a small smile. That was enough to thrill everyone.

"LUNAAA!" all the kids shouted in unison and I immediately shook off those thoughts and smiled widely at them before sitting down to talk to them.

"Hello my darlings, have you all been good?"

"YESSS!" they replied in unison.

"You haven't been giving Ms. Maria too much trouble, have you?" I asked smiling.

"NOOOO!" they chorused and I grinned.

"Well then", I opened my large purse and pulled out the huge bag of snacks I and Zuerien had picked up for them from the restaurant earlier, "Treats for everyone!" I shouted.

A cacophony of loud cheering and laughs sounded as the children took the bags of food from me and I stood up. They all shouted their thank you's and I blew them a collective kiss before looking at Zuerien to find him staring at me with gentle eyes.

"Come on! Let's go inside and eat!" one of the boys shouted and the others clapped their hands and nodded before pulling me and Zuerien along.

Ms. Maria greeted us at the door, thanking us profusely for having made time to come visit. As soon as she went to set the table, a familiar voice called out loudly, immediately making me grin and Zuerien scowl.

"ANNA! WOLFA!"

We both turned around to find Rino running down the wide corridor towards us, with Ginny sitting on his shoulders, "So glad you finally made it!" Rino beamed and I waved at him happily.

"Luna!" Ginny cried out gleefully, bending down over Rino's head and I stood on my toes to kiss her on her cheek, "Hi sweetie"

Rino grinned, "Do I get a kiss too?"

Almost immediately I felt an arm come around my waist possessively, "Forget it!" Zuerien growled, "She won't kiss you!"

Rino grinned wider, "Will you?"

"RINO!"

Rino burst out laughing and so did I and Ginny while Zuerien exhaled heavily and shook his head, "Unbelievable", he said, "And what the heck are you wearing?!"

I, Rino and Ginny looked down at Rino's fluorescent sweater with bright pink and orange flowers. I almost instantly knew where he got it.

"Do you like it?" Rino asked Zuerien excitedly, "Prophecy made it for me"

"Its blinding"

"I know right! Isn't that awesome?"

"Ugh", Zuerien pinched the bridge of his nose in exasperation and I giggled.