16

Everyone looks up as we descend the stairs.

"I didn't think everyone was here already." I whisper to Jade.

She laughs nervously. "Yeah. And I thought I was an early bird." She looks at her watch. "It's exactly six."

Mom smiles and motions for me to help her in the kitchen. I see that Rich has started playing NBA on the xbox with Troy.

"Oh my goodness. I feel butterflies in my stomach." I whisper, as Jade and I make our way to the kitchen.

"Joy!" Joanne exclaims as she walks to me with Chelsea in her arms. She gives me a sideways hug. "These are my children-"

"Joooooooy!" A little girl screams.

Claire runs to me and gives me a hug.

"Oh. I see you've already met Claire." Joanne says with a laugh. "And Chelsea, so that just leaves Troy."

I smile. "I've already met Troy too." I say.

Joanne answer," My. Maybe you all can be close friends."

I shrug and share a look with Jade. "Maybe."

We help my mom set the table and then we put the food on the table.

"Mom, the food smells delicious." I say.

She smiles at me and winks. "Gotta have the best for my besties."

Soon, we're all at the table. I look around and see that Jade's the only one with a father. I lock eyes with Troy and then look away. I see that he's smiling at me and I feel my cheeks turn pink.

Catherine prays for the food and thanks God for this opportunity to gather and to thank Him for finally bringing the three friends together.

Once we're all seated and eating, our moms tell their story.

"We were neighbors, so we became really close at a young age." Mom starts. "We went to school together from preschool to high school. In college, we obviously went separate ways, but we still kept in touch."

Catherine picks up. "When we were in high school, we made plans for our future, just as nearly every teenager does. We planned that we would live beside each other just like when we were kids, and that our kids would be friends. So far, we're slowly getting it, by the grace of God."

Joanne smiles. "I have nothing else to say to that. We're just really close friends and our dreams are slowly coming to reality after many years."

After some more childhood stories and laughs, we find ourselves cleaning up the dinner table and sitting in the living room.

The adults tell us to play while they talk, and we do. We play Taboo, Monopoly, Xbox and Wii.

Chelsea cries and I walk over to where her stroller is. I carry her and take care of her while the others are busy.

I sit down on the couch and watch as Jade, Rich, and Claire play. Troy sits beside me causing me to get a bit nervous. Even though we've been talking more often, I still get nervous cuz he's- you know. Troy.

"You're good with kids." He says.

I laugh softly. "Yeah, I guess."

"I didn't know you knew my sister. Sisters actually." He says, looking at Chelsea.

"I met Claire at church, and Chelsea earlier today." I explain. "I didn't know Claire was your sister or that you go to church though."

He chuckles. "Well, now you know."

We start talking about the most random things, and soon I find myself laughing and smiling along with him.

Soon, it's ten o' clock.

"Come on, Troy, Claire. Let's go." Joanne says. When she sees me carrying Chelsea, she raises her eyebrows.

"Mom, I was thinking that maybe since Joy is homeschooled, she could help babysit Chelsea so you could work." Troy says.

Joanne thinks about it. "Can you do afternoons on weekdays?"

I nod my head.

"Three to seven?" She asks. "Ten dollars per hour."

My eyes widen. "No! Two or five is already enough. Ten is too much."

She shakes her head and smiles. "No. Ten dollars per hour. Okay?"

I look at mom who's smiling and nodding at me. "Okay."

Troy smiles and so does Joanne.

Jade comes up to me. "I'll help sometimes. We can share the money." She says with a teasing smile. I laugh. "Sure."

"By the way, we are gonna move into the house beside yours and I'm gonna be sleeping over a lot." Jade whispers.

"Oh, sure. Why not?" I say with a smile.

As they leave, I feel mom put an arm around my shoulders. "How do you feel, Joy?"

I look at her. "I feel happier. I feel like maybe it was all a bad dream. But then I know it's not."

Mom smiles at me. "Me too. I'm super happy that my friends are here and that you have more friends too."

We walk back to the living room where we decide to play Xbox with Rich.

We play until eleven, then head to bed.

I say a prayer of thanks to God. This past week was uneventful, peaceful, and made me feel lighter and happier. God can really change things and people as long as you're willing to allow Him.