26

"It was one o' clock and Keith and I were the only ones awake. You see, in the building there were dorms on the top floors for anyone who works for the record label. Since Keith and I lived there, we stayed up late to add lyrics to a new song. The alarms suddenly blared and we stood up not knowing what was going on. We opened the door and someone ran past us. We chased after the guy thinking he did something wrong.

However after minutes of chasing, we lost him. That is, until I turned around and saw a gun pointed at Keith's head.

"If you act like you stole these," he says, holding up some gems and cash. "Then I will spare your lives. But you will have to work for me."

I look at Keith, my manager, and his eyes tell me what to do.

But I refuse to do it.

I agree with the stranger and he lets Keith go. He grabs my hand and crashes through the window pulling me after him.

"How does this even help you?" I ask.

He gives me a smug smile and replies, "you'll see."

He leaves the stolen items in my hands before knocking me out. It all happened so fast.

I wake up seeing cops' faces around me. They question me and I answer the best that I can. I was proven guilty.

Keith told me he was threatened not to tell the truth too. For the sake of the record company. So, I got cast out.

I decided to move back here and stay low for a while. Turns out, Tyron was here too.

He found out I was here and he told me his plan. He wanted revenge on your family for taking his parents and their money. He said that your dad hadn't paid his parents salary for three months. It gave them a hard time."

"But-" I want to interrupt but he holds up a hand stopping me. He continues.

"He also wanted you. As a son of two employees, he had the chance of seeing you in the offices. He liked you.

He actually wanted to use you as a way to hurt your dad. He wanted to make you rebellious. He wanted to influence you to do things I know you wouldn't do, Joy."

The room is so quiet, I feel like people could hear me shaking.

"I didn't like that part. So I decided to change it up. Instead of him becoming your boyfriend, I took the role. And I hope I didn't influence you to be rebellious." He pauses. "When Tyron found out I was the one you'd said yes to, he got mad. He talked to Shakira and lied to her, saying I liked her. While you were out cold when he kidnapped us, he threatened me to cheat on you. I'm so sorry, Joy." He takes a deep breath.

"He was gonna kill Keith and remind the police about me. You see, instead of putting me in jail, Keith convinced the police to let me return to my hometown under probation.

Anyway, Tyron was angry. When we ran away with Tasha, I feel like he got more hurt than angry. And because of that, he cast Tasha out of their home and he contacted me. He wanted me to hurt you. To hurt the girl he liked. He felt like your dead father wasn't enough. He had to scar you to leave permanent pain. That would satisfy his revenge.

Yet, when Troy saved him, it changed him. He always blamed God for his situation. And when Troy saved him, he got annoyed. But I think God was speaking to him cuz he felt guilty and so sorry."

We all process his words.

"It makes sense. But how do we know it's the truth?" Rich asks.

James shrugs. "Whether you believe it or not, that's the truth. Ask Keith. Look at the cctv camera records from the record label. Well, the hidden records."

I look at my mom who's looking at me with a question mark written on her face.

I shrug, equally confused as to whether I should believe him or not.

Another question bothers me though.

"Where's Tasha now?" I ask James with a voice as cold as I could manage.

"I don't know."

A police officer enters and calls my mom. She walks out with Joanne and I sit down.

A few minutes later, my mom smiles at me. "Everything's okay."

"Where's Tasha?" I ask again.

"She was found in an apartment downtown. She will be a witness against her brother at court." Joanne answers.

I breath a sigh of relief.

"So, do you forgive me?" James asks, head up now and eyes locked on mine.

"Yes." I answer, knowing that God wants me to. "But you are not going to be accepted the way you used to be. You will not talk to me unless it's for a very super important matter. And you will not hang out or talk to my brother."

James' face shows pain. "I'm sorry, Joy."

"You can't just say sorry, because that phrase is used so much yet not meant nowadays. That phrase is said a lot without any sincerity. To be truly sorry, you'd change your actions. And until you do, I only forgive you. But I will not talk to you or make things "as they once were."

James sighs and nods his head in understanding.

I look at Troy who was silent the whole time.

He reaches his hand out and I take it. He intertwines our fingers.

"I'm proud of you, Joy. You just showed me more reasons to like you. You're forgiving. You let go of grudges so as not to hurt you more and burden you for longer times. You're becoming more like the God girl I know you can be. You're beautiful inside and out. You have such a beautiful personality. And I'm glad you're much wiser and vigilant now."

I smile at his little lecture, then kiss him on his cheek.

He looks up at me shocked and I laugh.

"I'm glad you're laughing now." Jade suddenly says.

I honestly forgot she was here too.

I hug her. "Thanks for being there for me."