Chapter Nine

We get home that evening with huge grins on our faces. Dan and Phil are ecstatic because they recon they found the girl. She's fourteen years old, called Ginny. She's into Green Day, My Chemical Romance and Muse. She likes to read and has a brilliant sense of humour and a very quick wit. She's bright and loves the three sciences because - she said - that science always made sense and everything happened due to science, making it more straight forward, unlike her life had been.

Dan and Phil had been given Ginny's folder to find out more about her backstory but they weren't sure whether they wanted to read it or not because they weren't sure if Ginny would class it as an invasion of privacy and would prefer to tell them about her past herself. So the file had been left, untouched, in my possession and I hadn't even opened it myself.

As we walked in, we heard giggling of delight coming from the living room.

"Hey, Elizabeth." Phil says to me as we start to walk towards the door.

"Hmm?" 

"We were thinking of buying a house near yours. You know, because we're starting a family and all. Do you think it's a good idea?" Dan asks me and I grin.

"Of course I do! I miss being your neighbour!" I laugh and they smile back.

"We saw the house next to yours is up for sale." Phil wiggles his eyebrows at me and I smirk.

"Please buy it." I beg them jokingly and they exchange a look. "You already did, didn't you?" I ask and they nod. I squeal and hug them tight.

"We move in a week. So we're going back to our old apartment later tonight to pack and then we'll come back with the van."

"Epic." I grin and they do the same as we push the door open. Louis's having a tickle war with all the kids and they're all laughing and squealing like mad apart from Louis who's smiling proudly at them. He looks up when we enter and catches my eye. His face seems to brighten a little and he sends me a small wink which makes me blush. 

"Phil. We better get going. Our train leaves in an hour." Dan says and Phil nods before turning to hug me while Dan hugged Louis.

"Only a phone call away, Eli." Phil says to me and I smile. "And soon, I'll only be a knock away." That makes my smile widen and we hug again.

"Cheers Phil. Same goes for you, bud." He nods and smiles before rushing over to my kids and hugging them all tightly. I jump on Dan's back while he talks to Louis but wince a little as a jolt runs through my spine. Louis notices and looks worried but I replace my pained look with a smile and hug Dan tightly around the neck.

"See you soon, Elizabeth." Dan smiles as I hop of his back and hug him properly.

"See you, Dan. Stay safe, mate." Dan nods and smiles  at me before hugging Louis as well. He then goes over to the triplets to say goodbye to them and Louis comes over to me. He wraps a strong arm around my waist and I rest my head on his shoulder gently.

"You okay, Beth?" Louis asks and I nod.

"Yeah. My back's still a bit dodgy from that crash." I tell Louis truthfully and he looks shocked.

"So it's my fault you're in pain?" Louis asks in a small voice and he sounds like a little boy. I take my head off of Louis' shoulder and face him.

"Why would you say that?" I ask him

"Because I was the one who was driving." He says and I take his face gently in my hands so he has to look me in the eyes.

"Louis. Shit happens. It wasn't your fault. Anyway, that crash brought us together as a couple and so, if it wasn't for that crash. We wouldnt have our lovely kids." I tell him and he smiles. I let go of his face and go to turn to my kids but Louis grabs me back and pulls me towards him before capturing my lips in a sot, loving kiss.

"I love you." He whispers.

"I love you too."

"Mummy." Luke whines from the floor, reaching his arms up. I grin down at him and swoop him up.

"He's such a mummy's boy." Louis laughs and I nod with a smile.

"I love you, Mummy." Luke tells me, making my grin widen.

"I love you too, Lukey." Luke kisses my cheek and hugs me like a monkey with his arms wrapped tightly around my neck and his legs around my torso. "You're getting heavy, aren't you, Luke? You're turning into a big boy. My big five year old." I say and Luke nods proudly.

"What about me?" James pouts from the ground and I smile at him. I bend down to pick James up in my other arm and I notice Louis holding Francesca. "I'm a big boy too." James says and I nod.

"Yeah you are. You're my other big five year old boy." I assure him.

"But I'm bigger because I'm older." Luke says proudly and I laugh at that.

"Yes, Luke. You are older."

"Older doesn't mean better." James scowls.

"Of course it doesnt, James. Age has nothing to do with how good or bad a person is. It's whats inside that counts." I say and he beams at me before snuggling into my neck. "Are you tired?" I ask him and James nods against my neck. I turn and look at Luke who's yawning.

"Bed time." Luke mumbles and I nod, starting to walk towards the stairs.

"Daddy, can you tuck me in tonight?" James asks over my shoulder to Louis who's talking to Francesca.

"Of course I can, love." Louis says with a smile and I feel a pang in my chest. I let both of my boys down to run to their dad but Luke stays by me. He grabs my hand and I look down at him. His bright eyes shine at me as he beams up towards me.

"Will you tuck me in, mummy?" Luke asks and I nod.

"Of course I will, Luke." I lead him up the stairs and he gets changed as soon as we get into his room. I tuck him in and sit on the edge of his bed, stroking his hair. 

"Mummy?" Luke asks sleepily.

"Yeah, honey?"

"Why did Daddy leave us?"

"He didnt know about you, Luke."

"Why not?"

"I'll tell you when you're older, hon. Try and get some sleep now." Luke nods at me. "I love you."

"I love you too, Mummy." I lean forwards and place a kiss to Luke's head. Luke snuggles down into his covers to get more comfortable and I watched as he drifted off to sleep.