~3~

The sound of the ticking clock echoed off of the walls as Sapphire sat in the abandoned room, waiting for the school day to end quickly.

She cursed herself for thinking irrationally. At the time, this seemed like a good plan - go into the science room, wait until the day ended, and sneak out like nothing ever happened - but she had forgotten to bring anything to help pass the time. Her phone was in her locker and she didn't bring any snacks. The best she could do to pass the time would be to erase all of her math homework answers and redo the worksheet.

After scanning every part of the room, she came across a mirror. When she peered in the mirror, she noticed her curly hair was straighter than normal. It still had a bit of its natural curl to it, but she could see some of the straight pieces. She's had some interesting bad hair days recently; really just adds to her world crumbling down.

She left the mirror and went towards the sink. It is kinda handy to have that there so she didn't have to always go out and get a drink from the drinking fountain. She was going to go and find a cup somewhere. Where would a cup be? 

She compromised and got a beaker from one of the high shelves. When she grabbed the beaker, she realized that it already had water in it. Huh. She could've sworn that it was empty before she grabbed it...must've been an illusion.

She thought that the water might be contaminated, so she decided to just dump it back into the sink. She turned the knob on the sink and rinsed the beaker before she got a drink of water.

~~

Once the bell rang, Sapphire's eyes flickered towards the clock. It was 1 in the afternoon - the time that she would've been in her science class. A hint of a smile appeared on her face; although it was a pretty boring day, she was happy that her plan went through with few problems. Digging through her bag, she found a book to read and a singular package of fruit snacks to hold her over for a bit. There are a few more hours to go, but if anyone can get through it, it's Sapphire.

Well, that is what she thought until she heard the door handle rattle.

Anxiety ran through her veins as her palms continued to sweat profusely. She was going to get caught, there was no other way around it.

She knew that it was going to be bad, but she didn't know how bad. Turns out, it was probably one of the worst-case scenarios.

It was her science teacher. And her whole science class.

"Oh Sapphire, you're here today! Why were you here before us?" her teacher asked.

Thankfully, this wasn't one of the teachers who was paying attention to the meeting this morning. She remembered her science teacher's face specifically because instead of paying attention, he was the one person in the back sleeping with his mouth open and snoring.

"Oh, I had just gotten here a little bit ago, and Ms. Morris told me just to go up here since you guys were going to go here." she lied. Stomach

The class just looked at her with no emotion, since they frankly don't care.

"Ah..Ms. Morris is a wise woman. She'll always know what I'm gonna do even when I don't. Okay, Sapphire, get on some goggles because we are going to be doing an experiment that'll need them." her teacher explained.

~~

After doing the experiment, the class was coming to a close, as lab partners were writing their final notes and clean-up was winding down.

"So..Sapphire decided that it was a good idea to just hide in the science room?" one of the snobby kids sneered.

"No, I just got here." Sapphire tried to explain, but he kept on annoying her.

The kid put his hands up to his eyes, pretending to cry, "Boo hoo - I'm little ol' Sapphire! I have issues and try to run from her problems!" A couple of kids paying attention began to laugh at his impression of her.

"Jackson, you can stop now, or I will give you a detention." her teacher intervened.

She mentally thanked her teacher for being nice at times, even if he was a tad bit of a dunce and easily persuaded. The class made their way out, as the bell to the next period was starting soon. Sapphire pretended to look busy, writing some more notes down. After the rest of the class left the room, Sapphire got up and shut the door.

Her emotions got the best of her, "WHY!" she shouted, and she flung her hand. But...something happened. She saw water go through her hand and hit one of the vials on the shelves, completely breaking it in the process. She was stunned.

What just happened..?

She ran over to the mirror. She gasped as she saw her eyes a vibrant purple and her hair as straight as pins, the light blue tint in her hair had returned. 

She ran her hands through her hair, which make her hair wet as water dripped onto the floor.

"Oh...my god," she whispered to herself.