Chapter Six

"Charity?" Harry spluttered, unable to stop himself as he spun back around.

"Harry, please," Draco whispered hurriedly in his ear. "You said so yourself, they're not worth it. You don't have to defend me."

"Yes I bloody do," he snapped, fuming with rage. He was mad enough, but Draco's face as he insisted he wasn't worth fighting for was the last straw. No one made his man look that sad, certainly not some stupid, meddling Fourth Years. "My friendship with Draco is not charity," he spat. "So the Prophet can like it or lump it."

The girls both blinked, and the second one turned her head in contemplation. "You're not," she began, as if searching for the words. "Actually friends though, are you?"

Harry laughed, feeling like something inside him had snapped. "No, you're right, we're not friends," he told them as a kind of madness took hold of him. The girls had a split-second to look triumphant, before Harry's hand slid down from where he was gripping Draco's bicep, then seized his hand defiantly. "We're boyfriends."

Everyone in the entire corridor seemed to freeze, and reality stuck Harry as he released what he'd done. He didn't care about the Ravenclaws as their hands shot over their mouths; his attention snapped wholly and completely to Draco's face, horrified at himself for being so selfish, wishing desperately he could take it back...

But Draco was staring at him with a sort of wonder, and for a moment it was like they were standing there alone, instead of surrounded by a hundred or so students. He didn't say anything, though after another heartbeat or two, Harry felt his hand being given a quick but firm squeeze of encouragement.

"What!" spluttered Girl One.

"Boyfriends," Draco said clearly, his voice a little shaky but Harry still had hold of his hand for support, and a glimmer of his old swagger was suddenly shining through. "Partners, lovers, whatever else you want to call two people snogging each other exclusively."

There were a few gasps and squeaks, but Harry hardly heard them over the rush of pride that practically soared through his body. This was not how he had planned on revealing their relationship to the world at large in the slightest, but it was happening regardless, and the relief and excitement was making him light-headed. "So you see," he said haughtily, pulling Draco even closer to him. "I don't care what the Prophet writes, but if they want a quote, you can tell them that we're extremely happy together, thank you very much."

Girl Number Two looked like she might balk at having to relay that particular message to her mother, but from somewhere in the crowd came a whoop. "Yes Harry mate," Seamus cried from over the heads of some younger students. "Good on you!"

"Yeah!" a little Slytherin girl. "You tell them Malfoy!"

And quite suddenly, the throng of students were yelling out other words of encouragement, and some people started clapping, and then the two of them were surrounded by well-wishers and people patting their backs, the Ravenclaws nowhere to be seen.

Draco looked as stunned as Harry felt. He was sure not everyone was pleased, he'd seen several scowls and numerous backs turn as people moved away in disgust, but quite frankly, it was hard to pay attention to them when so many happy faces were smiling and chatting happy words that all merged into one blur of good will. The practical side of Harry's brain reminded him that this was probably only the beginning of their troubles, that they would probably have to deal with a great deal of animosity in the days, weeks, maybe even months to come, but he pushed that to one side. He and Draco should be allowed to enjoyed their moment, even if that's all it was.

"Thanks, thank you," Harry stammered as he started to push gently through the crowd. "We really should get going though, thank you, honestly, it's nothing, thank you-"

Eventually they were able to break free, and with the help of Seamus kindly ushering some of the more enthusiastic kids back, they made their escape, running by mutual silent consent in the direction of the Eighth Year dorms. "Oh Merlin," Harry panted, feeling dizzy and overwhelmed as they rounded an empty corridor, and he yanked Draco to a halt. "Holy shit, Draco, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean – are you okay? I shouldn't have, I didn't-"

Draco stopped him by grabbing his face and planting a kiss squarely on his lips. Harry was so stunned, he just let it happen. "That was one of the most incredible things anyone had ever done for me," he said, his eyes shining. "I mean," he scoffed. "One of the stupidest too, but mostly, incredible." He grinned so wide Harry just had to kiss it right off his face.

"You're not mad?" he fretted. "Everyone in the whole bloody country will probably know by next week, it might get unpleasant?"

Draco's face became more serious, but Harry was happy to see there was still a small smile lurking on his features. "Yeah," he admitted, running his hand across the back of Harry's neck. "I'm sure it will. But you'll be there to look after me, we'll look after each other?"

"Of course," said Harry, kissing him tenderly again.