Epilogue

Epilogue

Something woke her up, but she couldn't really tell what. She moaned in frustration, using her bandaged hand to gently caress her temple and then turning on the light on her bedside table.

She was home, in her bedroom, safe and sound. After the confirmation of her location, she sighed in relief. It was still dark outside, still hours away from morning.

Petra wondered, groggily, if she should take another one of her new sleeping pills. After her psychotic break, she was extremely careful with her medication and made sure she took it all with precision. She was sure she'd taken it before going to bed and, since they were pretty strong, she wondered why she was awake so soon. They were supposed to knock her out for the long hours of the night.

Should she take another one? She didn't want to mess up again but, on the other hand, she was afraid to not take it - she definitely didn't want to go through insomnia or fall asleep without its blissful effect, for she would surely have horrific nightmares.

Maybe she should go to her parents' room and ask for her mother's opinion, as humiliating and childish as it was and even if it pained her to wake her mother up at three in the morning. Slowly, Petra turned in her bed, moaning in the process. Her body was still massively wounded and sore and lying on her back was extremely painful and uncomfortable.

Still lost in thought, she looked at her ceiling with her one free eye.

And then her world fell apart.

Petra sat down as quickly as she could, ignoring the pain, to make sure what she was seeing was real. Her eye widened in terror, her heart raced and her body shook.

She couldn't move, she couldn't believe it, her eye glued to the ceiling.

Footprints.

And she screamed.

THE END