Chapter 12 - Unnatural

Chapter Twelve

Unnatural

The atmosphere inside the boys' apartment couldn't be of greater contrast to the rest of the building. It was beautiful, exactly what she needed and wanted, like she had, once again, walked into a different world - only this time it was a positive, vibrant world.

Immediately, she was hit by the strong and sweet scent of weed. She wasn't surprised. Petra recognized the scent because she and Olivia had had their own adventures in that regard. Eventually, Petra had to stop engaging in it, since she found the habit had a tendency to ignite and develop her anxiety and she had even experienced one or two panic attacks while under the influence. Olivia had researched the subject and learned that people with a tendency or pre-disposition for mental problems could experience worsening of those issues when they smoked or adhered to any other kind of drug or alcohol.

The second thing she noticed greeted her like a bad omen, like the comeback of a bad memory. Apparently, the boys had the same exact type of ugly, creepy paintings on their walls that she had on her own apartment.

What an unfortunate coincidence.

"They're ugly as hell, right?" Kyle asked, noticing how Petra had been staring at the paintings in the entrance hall. "I just want to take them off the walls, but Eli kind of likes them."

He laughed when Petra looked at him with a shocked expression.

"I know, I know. Dude's got some issues."

"I have the same paintings in my apartment," she confessed.

"Huh," he replied, looking surprised for a second but quickly returning to his usual casual self. "They must've been on sale." He grinned and she couldn't help but laugh.

Kyle gestured for her to follow him. Their apartment was smaller than hers, probably because their balcony was so much bigger. The apartment was cluttered and messy, disorganized, warm and welcoming, cozy and friendly - a perfect mirror of their inhabitants.

She followed Kyle into their living room, where she was met by low background music.

"Hey, Petra," Eli enthusiastically greeted her. He was sitting on top of a large and fluffy pillow on the ground and was surrounded by smoke, which was normal, considering he was the one holding the joint. "Sit over here," he promptly offered, tapping the chubby pillow next to his.

"Make yourself at home," Kyle said, gesturing the snacks that were lying around. "Drinks are on the fridge, kitchen straight ahead on the end of the hall." He then sat on the ground, back against the wall and held an old looking guitar, wasting no time before playing a few notes on it and then writing something down on a notebook next to him.

"Thank you."

When she was heading towards Eli, she finally noticed there was a third guy in their living room. He wasn't paying much attention to what was going on around him though, instead focusing on the TV and the videogame he was playing. He was sitting on the floor as well, his back supported by the long sofa. He wore casual shorts and t-shirt, much like Kyle and Eli, wore glasses, was just as pale as she was and wore his sand toned hair shaved short.

Kyle followed her inquisitive look.

"Oh, right! Petra, this is Harry. Harry, our new friend Petra. She lives on the fifth floor."

Harry, who seemed extremely uncaring about her presence, finally tore his eyes off the TV screen to stare at her with a sudden massive interest as soon as Kyle mentioned the fifth floor.

"Nice to meet you, Harry," she greeted with a smile, as she sat down next to Eli.

"Fifth floor, huh?" Harry simply asked.