Ariel

It's been a week since I started high school. The only things I actually enjoyed were getting to see friends.

     Maya Hart: troublemaker, artistic, big heart, but not the brightest. Her step-dad Shawn, and her mother Katy became pretty successful. Shawn is a photographer and runs his own business. Katy is an actress and earns gigs everyone now and then that causes her to leave home for a while. They love in a penthouse 3 buildings down from Riley.

     Farkle Minkus: brains, scrawny, has been in love with Riley and Maya since day one. His father is a successful businessman that makes millions. He lives on the other side of town, a building that's all to himself and his family.

     Riley Matthews: a mystery. She hasn't told me much about her. Whenever I try to get to know her, she pushes me away. Maya said she just wasn't comfortable making new friends. Farkle has never seen her act like this. All I know was that she wasn't the wealthiest of the bunch, but was smart, beautiful, and an attitude.

     It was Friday. Word spread that there was a pool party at Missy's house to celebrate the last week of 90 degree weather before fall and winter came. It was September, but it felt like the middle of July. I asked my friends if they were going to go, Maya and Farkle became excited, Riley wasn't one for parties. She said so herself. After major convincing, Riley decided she would go with, but said she wouldn't make any promises of going in the water.

     I pulled up to Missy's in my black Maserati. Her house was big, but nothing close to mine. Red solo cups were everywhere, kids outside in the yard, in the house, and in the pool. I received a text from Maya saying that they were in the back chilling by the pool chairs. I made my way through the crowd, avoiding anyone who tried to stop me.

     I managed to squeeze through the crowd and found myself outside looking for Maya, Farkle and Riley.

     Riley was staring out to the sky, Maya and Farkle were making conversation

     Riley was staring out to the sky, Maya and Farkle were making conversation. "What's up guys?" I say when I finally reached them. They greeted me one by one with a hug, but Riley was still staring at the night sky. Maya wore a black bathing suit with netted coverup, Farkle wore his favorite science t-shirt, and Riley wore an oversized purple t-shirt, so big you could think she was naked. Maya and Farkle went off on their own, I stayed back with Riley, staring at the stars with her. "Do you ever wonder what it's like up there? All those stars, with the planets and the whole galaxy?" she questions.

     "I don't know I never been to space before."

     "One day I would like to see a shooting star. I have always heard about them but I have never seen one before."

     "You've never seen a shooting star?"

     "Yeah. Everyone time it happens, I'm never there to witness it, I'm always locked up away from the outside world somehow. I never get to see many things, I probably never will." She looked down to the ground with a sorrowful look. I looked around me, the pool cleared out, only me and Riley remained outside.

     "How about we go in the pool."

     "I don't think that's a great idea."

     "Why not?"

     "Let's just say I'm not the thinnest tissue in the box."

     "I don't care." I stand up and pull off my shirt. "We are going in the pool whether you like it or not." Her eyes first made eye contact with mine, then trailed down my body, staring directly to my abs. She quickly turned away and stood up.

     "Fine." She took off her worn out black flip flops. She tore off the oversized shirt and...wow. Wait did she call herself fat before? There's no way?! I couldn't help but admire her physique. Her arms were slightly toned, her long legs were perfectly slender, and she had a completely toned stomach. "What is something wrong?" She snapped me out of my daze and I put a big smirk on my face.

    "Nothing, I'm just ready to swim." I turn and jump into the pool. I come up above the water and notice Riley laughing at me as if I was some idiot.

"You're such an idiot." Then she eventually jumped in. She emerged from the water with a smile on her face. We started swimming around the water. She pretended she was a mermaid and tried to swim with her legs together. Being the goof that she was, she started singing Part of Your World while floating above the water. There was something so graceful about her that I was attached.

You heard me, attached.

My hands snuck up behind her back and I held her up above the water. "Lucas what are you doing?"

"Doesn't Ariel grow legs and find her prince soon?" She let out a giggle and continued the song where she left off. When she finally finished the song, she jumped out of my arms and got out of the pool.

     "Well, Lucas. This has been enough to for one night." she slipped on her shirt and flip flops.

     "Where are you going?"

     "Home. It's late and also if Missy finds out I'm here I'll never hear the end of it."

      "Wait," I say hopping out of the pool. "At least let me drive you home."

     "Okay." We made way to my car and I drove her to her apartment. "Thanks again Lucas."

     "No problem. Are you doing anything tomorrow?"

     "No, why?"

     "I'll pick you up at 2:00." And that's all I say to her before I drive back home.

     The time was around 11:00. Usually, the chefs, maids, and butlers have returned back home and won't come back until tomorrow morning. My parents were still away, so I had the entire place to myself.

     Recap. Riley Matthews: Smart, beautiful, an amazing singer, but still a mystery. I still don't know much about her, but I hope she will open up soon.

     That was the night I found out Riley could sing.