Mad

​Around lunch, I had nowhere to sit. I was walking to the cafeteria when I bumped into Riley, literally.

     ​"Woah, oh my god are you okay? I'm so sorry."

     ​"Hey, no sweat. I'm basically used to being invisible anyways."

     ​"What's that supposed to mean?"

     ​"Let's just say the only people that know my name are the teachers, my family, my friends, and you. The only person I wish didn't know my name was Missy Bradford." Then she turned and entered the cafeteria. I followed behind her, heading on line to get lunch. "I warn you now, the food here isn't the best so just get a salad or something."

     ​We continued down the lunch line. Riley, as she said before, played it safe and got a fruit cup. "Hi I'll have the..."
​I was immediately cut off by the lunch lady. "You're the new student Lucas Friar. I have a special lunch for you." She went to the back and came back out with a steamed lobster and crab cakes. "For you." I take the plate reluctantly and walk off to catch up to Riley. She turned and saw what I was carrying.

     ​"Where did that come from?" she pointed to my plate of lobster.

     ​"I got it from the lunch lady."

     ​"That's a very expensive lunch Lucas. I hope you can afford it."

Is she serious? Does she have absolutely no idea who I am?

     "Don't worry, I think I can manage."
​We go and pay for her lunch, Riley's total came to $6.75. Seriously, for a fruit cup and a water? "Oh, no."

     ​"What's wrong?"

     "I have $5 dollars, I don't have enough. I'll just but the water away." She goes to put the water back when I stop her.

     "What are you doing?" I gave her $2 and a smile. "Thank you Lucas." She finished paying for her lunch. She pointed at her table and said to meet her there.

     ​When I got to the register and pulled out my money, the cashier stopped me.
"Oh, you don't have to pay Mr. Friar. It's on the house." I grabbed my food and met Riley at the table.

     ​"How much did you have to pay for your expensive lobster?" she said jokingly.

     ​"Nothing, they said I didn't have to pay." Then the smile on her face disappeared. She obtained a very annoyed look on her face. Her hand formed a fist, her knuckles started turning white.

     ​"What do you mean you didn't have to pay?" she asked through gritted teeth.  If looks could kill, I would have been dead in an instant. I didn't answer, I was too scared to answer, afraid to see what her reaction would be. She slammed her fists down on the table and stood up, knocking her chair down. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO PAY?" Everyone in the cafeteria stopped what they were doing, all eyes were on Riley. A teacher started walking up to her trying to calm her down.

     ​"Ms. Matthews, what seems to be the problem here?"
     ​
     "Problem? My problem is that I had to pay $6.75 for a pathetic fruit cup while Mr. Friar over here got a giant lobster and he pays nothing," she extends the last word.

     ​"Well, Mr. Friar here, it is his first day and we just want him to be satisfied."

     ​"Really, because on the first day of school I didn't see anyone getting lobster." The teacher then leaned in closer to Riley and whispered something in her ear that I couldn't hear. She became even more annoyed. "I DON'T CARE IF HE COULD BUY ME! HE'S STILL A NORMAL STUDENT AND SHOULD PAY LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!"

     ​"I do not like this attitude Ms. Matthews. If this continues you will have detention. Is that clear?"

     ​"Crystal," she says through gritted teeth. She fixes her chair then sits back down beside me. She doesn't eat. Instead, she pays with her food with a fork and stares down at her tray. I couldn't help but stare. I've never seen her so angry, yet again, it hasn't even been a whole day yet.

    Farkle and another girl with blond hair and blue eyes sits down across from us. Riley still doesn't look up. Farkle and the blond girl study Riley's movements carefully, watching every move she makes and her facial expressions. The blond looks up at me with a small smile. "Hi, I'm Maya Hart," she says holding out her hand.

     ​"Lucas Friar," I respond while shaking her hands. She looks back over to Riley who hasn't changed her expression at all.

     ​"Woah Lucas, where did that come from?" Farkle asks referring to my food. I try to stop him from going on but there is no use. "That must have been an expensive lunch."
​Riley shot up from her chair, she grabbed her belongs and left, shoving past everyone and busted through the door, leaving her tray of food at the table. I apologize to Maya and Farkle then run after Riley. She starts speed walking down the halls and reaches her locker. I eventually catch up to her.

     ​"What are you doing?"

     ​"I'm going home."

     ​"Why? Because I got some stupid lobster?" She turned to me with a cold stare, but she didn't respond. "Because I didn't have to pay?"
​ 
   "You know for a rich kid you're really dumb." She slammed her locker shut and walked away, but I managed to grab onto her wrist before she became out of range. "What do you want Lucas? Why can't you just leave me alone?"

​     I stared deeply in those chestnut eyes, those beautiful chestnut eyes, tightening my grip on her wrist. "If you're leaving, I'm coming with you."

     ​"No."

     ​"Yes, I'm not leaving you." She
didn't say anything, she tried to pull away, but my grip became tighter, making her unable to escape my grasp. "You are either staying in school or I'm going with you." The stern look on her face became soft again, calmer like it was before.

​     She bit the side of her cheek. Riley looked behind her, staring at the exit door, then looked over to the doors of the cafeteria. She eventually looked back at me. "Fine, I'll stay." She grabbed her bag, my hand still not letting go of her wrist, and we walk back into the cafeteria. We received death stares right when we walked in, but they weren't looking at me. They were looking at Riley.

     That was the first time I saw Riley angry.