24

"Stupid, stupid, stupid." Dean told himself over and over. His phone was laying on the ground a few feet away still displaying Cas's messages. Jo had left almost an hour ago. She had promised she would help fix it. Dean was an idiot for letting himself believe she could. Cas would never want to talk to him again.

Dean was about to give up, when his phone lit up, playing the Melanie Martinez song he set as Cas's ringtone. Dean reached for his phone and stared at it. Why would Cas be calling him? He studied the picture of Cas that he took when he went to Colorado.

Dean accepted the call and said shakily, "Hello?" 

"D-Dean," he heard Cas's quiet voice, his words slightly choked by sobs. "Dean, I'm so sorry. My stupid insecurities caught up with me. I shouldn't have done that I'm so-"

"I'm the one who should apologize," Dean cut him off. "I never should have said that or this wouldn't have happened." They both went quiet for a second, listening to the other crying. Dean wished he could reach through the phone and wipe the tears he knew were covering Cas's face.

"This whole 'never seeing each other' thing' it makes everything complicated." Cas murmured. Dean nodded slightly and whispered, "Yeah." They paused again. "Dean, I can't continue this if we're never going to see each other."

Dean's heart dropped. "Cas, please, not this again. I can't-"

"No! No, Dean, that's not what I meant." Cas's reassuring yelp soothed Dean slightly. "Then what did you mean by that?" Dean asked. "I'm transferring colleges." Cas said. "I'm going to move to Kansas."