Chapter 12 Hiding The Truth Can Only Get You So Far

I can hear the fire burning still. It haunts me every night since what happened a week ago. Every dream I have, she is there. Waiting for me. The queen comes and fights, but she dies. Then, everyone else dies. There is blood everywhere. She turns to see me with the somber tears staining my face and smiles. Then she says, "You should have joined me, Frost!" I would wake up screaming. Pluto comes to calm me down. Every time that happens, ice would freeze everything. He would calm me down. It works. He would ask me do you want to talk about it and I would say I am fine. He knows I'm not. He knows this will effect the way I think, but he doesn't say anything. He walks out of the room and I won't go back to sleep. Training has be called off. Everyone is taking it easy for a while. Everyone but me.

   I wonder why I keep saying no to Pluto. I need to talk to someone, but I'm scared. I must hide the truth from them all. They can't no about these stupid dreams that aren't real. They will never hear the truth, no matter how hard they beg. I can't and I won't.

   I am sitting in a fuzzy chair reading a book about a girl that fights the Nazis to find her sister when Pluto walks into my room. I put down the book and look at him.

   "Are you really ok?" He asks.

   "Yeah, I'm find." I give him a fake smile. He doesn't buy it.

   He walks to where I am sitting. He is looking like he lost everyone he loves and I came back from the dead. "I'm worried about you. You have been," He sighs, "you've been silent. I know you better, Ember. There is something bothering you. And it has to do with the nightmares, right?"

   I look away and he takes that as a yes. "Ok, here is the deal. If you have another nightmare tonight, you will be forced to talk about it. If not, I will leave you alone. Deal?"

   "Deal." I mutter.

    "Good." He starts to walk over to the door when he says, "I'm just worried." and walks out.

                                    *                                                          *                                                      *

   I'm running away. I  run down the hallway; its never ending.  I hear a voice screaming, "Come out Frost. You know your time is up. Time to rot in hell!"

   I run. She murdered everyone. Mercury, Mars, even Neptune. Everyone is dead. Before I ran, I saw what she looked like. Her hair was as black as the night sky. She was covered in blood. Her eyes were pitch black and her dress was as white as a cloud. She smiled at me. And laughed.

   "Everyone is out of your way! Time to make your own choices!" I ran into a dead end. Oh no. I turn around and she is standing there, knife in hand. An insane smile popped up and wouldn't go away. "Come on, Frost! Join me!!! Nobody can tell you otherwise!!!" She walked closer and I moved back. In this place, my powers won't work. I don't know why.

   Within moments, she was 3 inches away from me. The knife rose, whispering to me this will be my last breath. "Last chance," She says, "join me and together we will own this universe."

   I shake my head. "I WILL NEVER JOIN YOU!!!" I scream. Not after what she did to everyone.

   She laughs. "Well, this was all on you. I will keep returning until you do. And every single time I return and you STILL say no, it will always end like this." She raised her knife and drove it into my chest. I cry out in pain and fall down. The ground is the last thing I remember before I hear my name. It is distance, but, still I can hear it. "Ember!" It is coming closer. I feel my life slipping off this edge. "Ember!" There it is again! The darkness is taking over, controlling my eyesight, saying that I cant see anything else. "EMBER!!!!!"

                                   *                                                             *                                                          *

    Pluto was shaking my shoulders. "EMBER!!!!"

    I woke up, about to scream, when Pluto put his hand over my mouth.

    I feel tears in my eyes. threating to fall. I look to see where I am. I'm on the floor. Wait, why am I on the floor? I look at Pluto for the answer, confused. He removes his hand, knowing that I won't scream.

   "I came in because I heard you fall. Then, you were crying. I woke you up because I was worried. Ember," Tears filled his eyes, "you promised you would talk about it. So, um, you have some explaining to do."

   He helps me up and I sit down on my messy bed. He sits next to me and waits. I collect my thoughts and start. "I saw that woman again. She killed everyone. Everyone was dead and I couldn't do anything to stop her. She took away my powers and she chased me. I ran and ran until I was in a dead end. She took me she would return every night until I was part of her 'project' thing. She said it will always end like this. She stabbed me and I fell. Then, I heard your voice. I woke up and saw you."  Tears fell and I looked at Pluto. He hugged me, trying to get rid of this somber feeling.

   Then, before I knew what was happening, Pluto put his lips on my lips. I felt this new feeling, this new...power. The feeling and power of love. This feeling was unlike anything I have ever felt before. The way his lips felt on mine was as sweet as Swiss chocolate. It was like he was waiting for the perfect moment to confront me like this.

   After a moment, this kiss ended. He looked at me with his brown eyes and said, "Do you want me to stay with you? To fight off that monster?"

   I nodded. I want his company. I wanted him to protect me, even though nobody will come and kill me. Maybe.

   I laid down and he did the same next to me. He moved closer to hold me, protect me in my dreams and in real life. I felt the tears come again and he knew. Pluto wiped them away and said, "Good night, Frost."

   "Good night." I replied, then the sleeping feeling consumed me.