Chapter 7 The Song Of Sadness

"So, um, now what?" Pluto asked.

    I open my eyes. "I have no idea. What do we need to talk about anyway?"

   He shrugged. "I don't know. We are stuck here for a while now." Pluto hugged his legs. "I have really screwed things up, haven't I?"

   Is he for real? "No, you haven't. I have. If I was the daughter my foster parents wanted, they would have loved me, cared for me, let me feel loved. But, I was the different one. I was the mistake born into this universe. I will be the nobody. Everyone is wondering why I even exist. Why my body is using up the oxygen that other important people need, not some goth girl, wondering why she on planet Earth. I should have never been born on that stupid rock. Nobody ever cared about me." The cold, salty tears started to come, knocking the invisible door to come on to my face. I answered that door. The tears are on the face, consuming me with sadness.

   I didn't notice that Pluto was now sitting next to me, hugging me, trying to make me feel the warmth of life again. But, the warmth of life was done with me. It wanted me to burn in hell, where all depressed teens go when they have had enough.

   "You haven't screwed up like me. I quit being a guardian because I was done with my life. I went to try to find my family, but found out they were all dead. All 8 of my family members were dead. Then, they found me. I was beaten for information on how to find the guardians, how to find and kill them all. I almost died, but then they came and saved me. I didn't know that everyone loved me until that day. I knew. They loved me," He put his hands on my face, turning it to his. "And they will love you, Ember."

    I look away from him. "That was what my foster family said. 'We will love you, Ember. No matter what'. Look what happened with that tale."

   I hear Pluto sigh. "It's true, I don't know if they will all love you, but trying won't kill you."

  "How can I try when there is no light inside? Plus, I'd rather be all alone back home." Somber fills the room, wandering its way into me.

  Pluto stands up. He puts his hand in front of me. "Come on. I want to show you something."

  "What do you want to show me?" I ask.

   He smiles. "Something."

   I take his hand. I know he wants to cheer me up, but when you are always sad, 'cheering up' is hard to do. We walk to door. Oh, he wants to leave this hell hole after making me feel like I'm nothing. What a gentleman. He puts his back to the door.

   "So, why did you take me all the way here for? What ever you could have asked me should have been-" He puts his finger on my mouth, telling me to shut up.

   Pluto sits down and I follow. He gets something out of his pocket and shows it to me. It was a picture of his family. His parents in the back smiling. There were 5 girls in the photo. All were his sisters. Then the 3 brothers, messing around. This was his family. The ones he wanted to come home to, but couldn't. All of them were dead because of the "Black Holes". The tears are coming back. He notices this and puts the picture away.

   "Do you have a picture of your family?" He asks.

    I check my pocket and there was something in it. I pulled it out and there it was. The last photo I was in with my foster family. I looked at it and my foster parents were smiling. Lexi and Vanessa were doing peace signs. And me. In the back. Wearing all black. You can barely see me. I was behind my foster parents. Why did they even have me in the photo?

   I give it to Pluto, who sees my glassy eyes. He looks at it and looks back at me. "Why did they do this to you?" He asks.

   "They wanted a girly-girl. I was the tomboy. They hated that I was acting like a boy. But, they wanted a family photo so I was forced to be in it. They edited one of them so I was not in it." I somberly say.

   I look away from the boy. He has seen me cry so why am I turning away? I'm turning because I don't want him to see me as the girl who wants to die.

    After a minute, he hugs me again. The tears are falling down my face, wetting my checks as it falls. "I don't know why they hate me." I whisper and I go to hug myself. He takes my hands and I look at him.

   "They hate you because you are special in a way they are not. That's why." He smiles.

   I look away. "But I'm the goth girl when they wanted a girly girl."

   "Then they were the stupid ones that made you this way. Don't let them be in control of you."

    I smile and he senses this. The door opens and there is Sun standing there, tears in her eyes. She looks at Pluto then at me. "You both have something that nobody will ever understand." She moves out of the way and we both making our way out, wondering what she meant by this.