Truth or Dare (boyxboy)||Chapter 5: People Change

Picture of Hunter Ashley

I assumed that Colton went home as he told me he was going to, considering I didn't see him for the rest of the day. I sure as hell thought about him though. I couldn't get it out of my head. His eyes. The overwhelming feeling that I got, the burning desire to just hold him in my arms and protect him from all that could hurt him.

What was happening to me?

The next day, walking into school was a bit of a blur. That is, until the boy of my thoughts appeared in my line of sight, head down and hood covering his dark hair. I felt my face light up and I ran to catch up with him in the sea of people.

He jumped when I tapped his shoulder and turned quickly, his blue eyes locking with mine immediately. They held the same expression as they did yesterday, yet the look also clashed with another expression. Something dark.

The piercing light blue eyes that I had seen yesterday were now tinted into a darker, murky blue. The expression in his eyes made it look like he was in extreme pain as well as being terrified. My heart dropped, he looked horrible now that I was looking closer at the small boy.

There were dark circles under his eyes as if he hadn't slept well in weeks. His eyes were tinted red around the blue colors. His skin was ghostly pale and his small lips were chapped and quivering slightly.

That moment was when I decided for sure that I was going to take my amazing mother's advice. I wanted to know this boy. I wanted to know why I felt these feelings. I wanted to know why he was the way he was. I wanted to know everything that I could about this beautiful creature, good and bad.

"U-Uh so....wanna come hang at my place today after school? We c-can work on the project..." I stuttered, rubbing the back of my neck nervously. He stared at me for a few seconds, then opened his mouth to speak. I started to panic, I was certain he was gonna say no. Before he could shoot me down, I started blurting out what was on my mind,

"P-Please?? The project is due in a week and my mom is gonna be pissed if get a bad grade on it! And I would do it on my own, except I suck at it! I would get an F- either way, unless you help me!"

He stared at me like I was an idiot, I probably was. He let out a small sigh and I could have SWORN that I saw the sides of his mouth twitch up ever so slightly,

"F-Fine..but for the record, it's impossible to get an F- because there's no such.......grade....." He trailed off, staring at his feet, "S-Sorry..."

I laughed and put my hands up, "Hey it's cool. You can be all smarty pants around me, but I won't promise that I'll understand all of it."

He looked extremely surprised as he looked back up at me. "R-Really...? I-Ot doesn't annoy you? O-Or want to hurt me or anything?" A slight glimmer of hope flashed in his eyes and I shook my head.

"Nah, I'm over that crap, it's not fair to you. Im tired of seeing innocent kids get hurt. So as long as I'm around, nobody's gonna lay a finger on you, Kay?"

His eyes widened even more-if that was even possible-and he stared at me like I had just pushed him out of the way of a speeding car. He nodded slowly and opened his mouth to say something, but quickly closed it as the bell rang. He pushed past me and sprinted down the hallway as fast as possible.

I didn't pay much attention though, I was too focused on the fact that he agreed. He actually agreed to come over. I wasn't excited about the project, couldn't care less about that, but Colton was coming over to my house! I would probably get to hear his voice more! And maybe even see him without his hood on! Or even just get to sit with him and work on homework.

I was so beyond elated and I didn't even know why. I felt an arm wrap around my shoulder and turned around to see Tanner hanging off of me.

"Hey babe how was your day with the slut yesterday?" Oh how just one short sentence can change your mood so fast. I immediately turned around and shoved my fist into his cheek. I held back on him, of course, he was my best friend and all, but he pissed me off too much.

He stumbled back, putting his hand to his cheek and staring up at me with an extremely confused look, "Hey man that hurt! What was that for?!"

I just glared at him, "Don't use that word on him or anyone ever again. I don't like it. He has a name. His name is Colton. Use it or don't talk about him at all, got it?" I don't know where it came from, but I didn't regret it.

He put his hands in the air in surrender, keeping eye contact with me the whole time, "Alright, okay, chill I got it. Damn, what changed you? You used to hate that kid."

I shrugged and turned around, my anger cooling and my thoughts drifting back to Colton. "People change."