09

That evening, they have a party.

There's loud music (as loud as they can get away with inside the dorm) and a lot of food and plenty of alcohol, and everyone is in a fantastic mood. Jimin doesn't drink anything; he's already feeling buzzed from having all the members back home together again, and he's excitable enough as a person to get a contact high just from all the fun happening around him. Even the idea of a party gets him worked up, and soon he's dancing and singing and shrieking with laughter.

He and Taehyung and Hobi are messing around in the middle of the living room, which they've pushed all of the furniture to the perimeter of to make a dance floor. Hobi keeps doing girl group dances, and even though Jimin's seen him do it a million times, he's always undone by the facial expression that Hobi puts on when he does it. At a table pushed up against a wall, Jeongguk is attempting to sneak more alcohol than Seokjin's already cut him off at would, and doing a pretty poor job of covering it up. He isn't caught, though, because Seokjin and Namjoon are dancing together and are too caught up in it to pay attention to anything else. Jimin briefly observes them and decides that the two are unexpectedly good dancers together in light of how terrible they are separately, but he's quickly distracted from the sight by Hobi's enthusiastic rendition of Lion Heart. When Taehyung joins in with very little technique but a great deal of passion, Jimin has to stop dancing and bend over to try and catch his breath.

When he looks up, he makes eye contact with Yoongi, who's seated in a kitchen chair wedged between the couches. His eyes are bright as he looks at Jimin. Jimin gets the feeling that maybe Yoongi's been watching him for awhile, but Yoongi's smirk indicates that he doesn't care if he's been caught staring. Jimin feels a thrill run through him at the thought.

Jimin rushes over to Yoongi and, without thinking about it, seats himself right on Yoongi's lap. He loops his arms around the older's neck and settles in, swaying into him excitedly.

"Hyung!" He announces, too hopped up on the energy of the party to care who sees him or what they might think. Everyone's drunk and too distracted by the celebration to pay them any attention anyway, he tells himself. To his credit, Yoongi doesn't seem surprised at all; he practically welcomes Jimin's lap sitting, winding his arms around Jimin's waist and holding him in place. "How much have you had to drink, tell me honestly."

Yoongi looks up into Jimin's face, his expression serene. "None," he answers.

Jimin leans his torso against Yoongi's chest. "You liar," he teases, but he can believe it. Yoongi looks chill, but he seems alert enough; it's just Yoongi's regular chillness, Jimin guesses. "Then what are you so happy about?"

Yoongi holds Jimin's gaze for a second, and then sweeps his gaze up and down Jimin's body in a way that leaves him feeling hot and shivery at the same time.

"I don't know," Yoongi says slowly, but he looks like he knows exactly. Their faces are close together again, like they seem to be so often these days.

Jimin tightens his arms around Yoongi's neck. Yoongi moves his hands from Jimin's hips up to his waist.

"Did you miss me while you were gone?" Jimin whispers. He feels reckless, like he could do or say anything-- like he could melt right into Yoongi in this moment and it would feel so, so good.

The corners of Yoongi's lip curl up. "I wasn't gone," he says. "We were apart."

Jimin tries to process this with his turnt up brain, but isn't sure he gets it completely, since after only a second of thought, Yoongi jostles him in his lap and drops his voice to a whisper too.

"What time is it?" he asks.

Their noses are almost touching. To prevent what would assuredly be a tragic, terrible collision, Jimin shifts to the side just a bit, so their noses are side by side, touching just a bit. Now the rest of their faces are closer together, too.