03

3
Things become tense after that. Part of Jimin understands why everything is uncomfortable now, but another part of him doesn't.

He's not sure that he wants to know, though. He's scared of the answer.

He still tells Yoongi he loves him every day. It's rough, though, because it's become something neither of them wants to be experiencing. A few times, Jimin comes close to leaving behind little "saranghae, hyung" notes on Yoongi's bed or desk so that he doesn't have to say it face to face, but he knows deep down that that would just be wrong. He made his committment, he's sticking to it. Things will get better. They can't stay awkward forever.

Only once during this process does Jimin think seriously about giving up. It's when he's lying in bed in the evening of day fifty-- the halfway point.

A few hours earlier, he had summed up the courage to talk to Yoongi, saving his 'I love you' for when it was just the two of them (which Jimin thought was a pretty polite move on his part), and Yoongi had just scoffed in response.

And it had ticked Jimin the fuck off. Did Yoongi think this was some kind of joke?

And so, that one time, Jimin had thought about the consequences of quitting the challenge.

Well, it would be literally nationally if not globally embarassing, and he would be tortured on air, variety-style, for an explanation.

And the other members would probably never let up on him about it. Their teasing about the challenge had almost completely disappeared by this point, but Jimin's confident that ending the mission early would provide them with plenty of new material.

But both of those things can be dealt with. Jimin can tell the show hosts that he and Yoongi got physically separated because of work schedules and just couldn't carry on without it being a terrible hassle. Or they could pretend and lie and say later that Jimin did complete the challenge. And he can handle the other members. He's dealt with their jokes before and he can deal with them again, and if worse comes to worse, he can take Namjoon up on his earlier offer, and have a serious conversation with the leader or Seokjin about it.

But what really stops him, what really keeps him from quitting, is this one scenario that he replays in his head over and over again. Jimin saw it in a dream after he started thinking seriously about quitting the challenge, and it hasn't left him since.

The image is of Yoongi talking with a stranger. The stranger has learned about Jimin giving up on the challenge, and keeps asking Yoongi, "why?"

"Why couldn't he tell you he loved you every day?" The stranger asks. "Why couldn't he do it?"

Yoongi, trying to appear uncaring, would shrug. "I don't know," he would say.

Jimin imagines being asked in real life. "Why couldn't you do it?" the stranger asks Jimin. "Why couldn't you tell him you loved him?"

"I don't know either," he whispers aloud to himself.

He doesn't know.

--

On day fifty-four, or really the evening of day fifty-four, the tension hits its peak. Yoongi and Jimin have a fight unlike anything they've ever had before.

The two of them, of course, are bound to bicker from time to time. They're just so different as people. But it usually doesn't go beyond faux playful name-calling, and it rarely gets to Jimin calling Yoongi an ass and Yoongi telling Jimin to stop being so sensitive. But it's never ever gone this far, to where Yoongi is venomous and Jimin is screeching.

"--I told you not to bother me--"

"--I shouldn't have to apologize for caring about you--"

What makes this situation even more excellent, Jimin realizes, is that it's a completely useless fight. He doesn't even remember how or why or where it started. But it ended up here, in the cramped little BTS work room in the Big Hit building, and the flames are climbing higher and higher. Yoongi is angrier than Jimin's ever seen him, and Jimin is ready to tear down the building.