[Chapter 8] The Dinner

-Natalie's POV-

I don't know what Anthony said to her, but Rachael was like a completely different person after that call. She was all smiles, didn't want to argue, and she wasn't being her usual negative self! I hope she knew that I was only joking about the whole kiss thing...

But who cares! Rachael's actually being happy! WOO HOO! Mom and dad would love to see this...too bad that they're all the way across the country.

Kalel hasn't been uploading anything relating to the whole her and Joey thing. No pictures. No posts. Nothing. And Melanie's pictures and posts only had to do with her and Toby. Oh, and not to mention that I absolutely hate Melanie being with Toby. She doesn't deserve him! And he can do so much better than her! It just sickens me to see them together.

*****

Anthony and Ian came to pick us up around five thirty. Rachael slipped into the coral red sundress that she paired with a ivory cardigan-like thing. I didn't like it, but she didn't care. She also instructed me to wear my sea green one. I looked in the mirror and frowned, I hate how I look in dresses. And anything for that matter.

The entire drive there, all I could think about was how awkward this entire dinner was going to be. I mean, it's just a plan for failure. There's going to be a bunch of exes trying to outdo each other on who is happier. And then there are Joey, Toby, Rachael, and me, stuck in the middle of this whole dispute. Hell, I don't even know if those guys are really dating the girls or it was a situation like the one we had with Smosh. It just seemed a little all too sudden, you know? But so were we...oh I don't know anymore!

As we walked up to the door, Anthony and Ian slipped their arms behind our backs and pulled us close. Before Ian could even knock on the door, it swung open and to reveal an anxious Kalel standing in the doorway.

"Anthony!" She cried, jumping forward and pushing Rachael to the side. She gave him a tight hug, "I'm so so so so so so sorry! I promise to never leave you again. So what if you forgot one day? I don't care anymore, Anthony. I missed you so much!" By the end of her lengthy apology, she was in tears. And Anthony had pulled her closer and began to comfort her.

I looked to where Rachael had been pushed aside and saw her standing behind the tree. The glow of the sunset gave the perfect shadow for her to hide in. Her arms were crossed in front of each other and she was staring at the ground.

Oh shit, the sadness and negativity was back. I could tell it in her appearance. I mumbled under my breath, "Well that happiness was short lived."

"What?" Ian questioned.

I looked up at him, "Oh, nothing."

When I glanced back at Rachael, I noticed she wasn't there anymore. She was making her way towards the car.

"Oh no you're not!" I shouted, detaching myself from Ian's hold and grabbing her wrist, "Where do you think you're going?"

"Home," She replied quietly, refusing to make eye contact with me.

"Why?"

She gave me a nasty look, "Seriously?" I put my hands on my hips. She shot her hand in the direction of Kalel and Anthony. Rach moved her mouth, unsuccessfully trying to formulate words. She dropped her hand to her side, only to move them back up to cover her face, "This is exactly why I didn't want to do this, Nat," She moaned, "I knew I'd take it too seriously."

"What do you mean?" I inquired.

"Hey, they're going in," Ian announced as he approached us, "Let's go!"

"GO AWAY, IAN!" I boomed, "WE'RE TALKING ABOUT GIRL STUFF!"

"Okay," He put his hands out in defense as he started to back away from us slowly, "All you had to say was no."