The Rape of Proserpine Chapter Six

Start from the beginning

The morning that followed was no better than the last. I didn’t call River and neither did he, sealing the deal that there really was something wrong between us. Something more, something I didn’t know.

I sat in class, willing myself to be receptive to some useless information, but my mind just couldn’t concentrate on it. Today, I had decided to wear the band, feeling it wrapped not around my wrist but at my neck, heavy and tight. It was a tangible reminder that someone out there messed Marel’s life, my life too. For the first time in my existence, I had stood very firm on my decision to catch him and crush him like what he did to my family. There was no stopping me, not a band, no nothing.

When the lunch bell rang, I made a stop over at the nearest wash room before going to the cafeteria. I took one look in the mirror, shook my head vigorously, and splashed my face with cold water to regain my wits. Alone, I thought about the fact that if I were the one who vanished, Marel would do the same thing. He would trap the demon bastard and make him pay for it. Maybe it would be better if our roles were reversed. Marel would know exactly what to do.

As I was drying my face with a handful of paper towels, the knob on the door turned, stopping me. For a second, I thought it would be Kenon apt to fulfill my nightmare. “Oh, hey Darrel, how are you?” Calvin greeted as he walked in.

I’ve been dodging the Archibald’s ever since, especially Calvin. He was just too good and clean to be my friend. And then there was the funny yet guilt- inducing possibility of him quoting Bible passages whenever his lips parted. We were the yin and the yang, much like Marel and I. How weird could we get? He also had a reputation of converting delinquents to choir members, not that I was pliable and easily susceptible to influence, but still. “Hey, nothing awesome,” I answered truthfully. I tossed the question back just to be polite. Marel was polite, I should too.

“Hmm, good.” He looked kinda lost in the middle of the tiled floor, as if he had forgotten his purpose for going into the wash room. “Uhm, are you feeling better?” Oh good Lord, he was starting again. I just shrugged and nodded lazily while I dumped the wet tissues in the waste basket before checking myself one last time. “So, uh, ready to go?”

I wasn’t exactly sure what I said next. I felt like I was hypnotized by his clear blue eyes, the purity and brimming sanctity in them scattering my thoughts in different directions. We were already sitting opposite each other among the crowd of hungry students in the cafeteria when reality hit me in the form of Kenon staring suspiciously at me from across the room. If I were to see myself sitting with Calvin, I’d be more than suspicious. “Where’s your sister?” I dared ask after taking a long sip of orange juice. I wasn’t complaining though. Between the two Angels, Calvin seemed to be the more tolerable one.

I didn’t hear his answer as my phone vibrated in my pocket at the same time, breaking my attention. It was a text from River. I debated in opening the message, the fierce feeling of being neglected consuming my rationality. “Darrel?” I looked up and frowned at Calvin, putting my phone on the table, undecided. Judging by the look upon his face, I knew exactly what was about to come out of his mouth. “At the risk of sounding like a broken record-”

I held my hand up to silence him, about to put a stop at the cycle he was making. “You’re right. You do sound like a broken record.”

“Oh, I just-” He abruptly stopped, as if a bucket of freezing water was poured in his entire being. He was totally stunned, eyes as wide as saucers. He looked like he realized something terrible.

I fought very hard not to snort. “Look, like I’ve said before, it was an accident. No harm done, so stop stressing about it.” It came out hurried and harsh. If he was hurt by my dismissive and irritated attitude, he didn’t show it. The next few minutes were spent in awkward silence. I picked at my food, feeling awfully guilty at my outburst. Suddenly, my phone vibrated again on the table, both our eyes trailed upon it. “I should get that,” I lied, making it seem very important. After grabbing all my stuff, I stood up, ready to run away, but thought better of it. I glanced at Calvin, disturbed that he was already looking up blankly at me. At the back of my mind, I knew that he could see through the idiotic lie I was brandishing in front of his face. “Well, I’ll see you around Calvin. Bye.” I took off so fast, my heart feeling heavy as my ears caught a vague reply from him. “Shit!” I cursed at myself. “Shit, shit, shit.”