Chapter 39

Hey I finally updated! Thanks for all the support guys, it's getting close to the ending... But of course I need to finish up all the loose ends... Anything you're unsure about in the story, please don't hesitate to ask.... =D I'll try to not make you guys wait long... I promise I won't make you guys wait for two months for a chapter, ever again. Also I've changed the male lead for Leo...Tell me if this guy>> to the right - is a better Leo gallagher for Hailey. =D 

“Three fractured ribs, one broken arm, one fractured wrist and lung puncture. All in all, the patient suffered a lot of injuries, so for the next sixteen weeks of recovery - it will be extremely painful for him.” The doctor explained with a sympathetic look smeared across his face.

“So he’s not in any life danger?” I asked anxiously.

“No, he’s not. There’s some internal bruising that will cause him to cough out blood, but other than that and the broken bones, he’s on the road to complete recovery.” He answered helpfully.

“Thank you!” I breathed, and glancing joyfully up at the doctor, my heart burst with relief.

“We put the patient on some heavy medication to numb out the pain when he wakes, so he will be disorientated to say the least. And please don’t excite the patient’s emotions, because moving is almost impossible for him at the moment.” He advised us solemnly.

“We understand. Thank you, Doctor Allen.” Leo smiled, a radiant expression immediately lighting up his features.

Doctor Allen gave Leo a small bow, before promptly walking away.

“Why didn’t he say anything? He acted like being submitted into the hospital with half your bones broken was normal.” I wrinkled my nose in bafflement.

“The main funder of this private hospital is my father, so none of the staff will say anything.” Leo elucidated as he ruffled my hair light-heartedly.

“Stop that. We have to see Cameron!” I swatted his hand away, but it soon settled on the flat of my back instead. Where his palm was placed, a hot current scorched underneath my skin. I mentally shook myself, now was not the time to be reacting to his touch.

Pulling the door open, I stepped in warily, wincing immediately once my eyes drifted towards to the boy sitting on the bed. His face had so many bruises, somany that I could hardly make out the beauty it once was.

 In fact, he looked like, he looked like a -

“You look like an eggplant.” Leo stated, unconsciously repeating my exact thoughts out loud.

 “Thanks?” Cameron grunted, before pulling a terrible attempt at scowling.

 “How are you feeling?” I asked him gingerly. My heart was weighed down in guilt; more or less his injuries were technically my fault.

Cameron’s brown irises instantly softened as he transferred his gaze to me. “I’m fine.” He croaked, his voice barely a whisper.

 Swallowing, I walked over to his side and sat down in the chair, letting my gaze wash over his face in concern.

While Cameron’s nose was smothered in a ridiculously large plaster, violet blotches were splattered all over his chiselled face, resembling an elementary child’s first attempt at painting.

I felt remorseful, angry and guilty, all at the same time. If only I wasn’t so useless, I blamed myself, if only I knew how to protect myself. The helplessness I felt five hours before, now burned a hole in my chest like destructive acid.

“Leo, can you give us five minutes?” I asked politely.

He let out a grunt but nonetheless abided, making a point to glower at Cameron warningly before slamming the door loudly shut behind him.