Chapter 40

Hey guys! I'm still writing the prologue, a little stuck there...But I decided to upload this prewritten chapter first... I will add the prologue soon hopefully! :D

Oh and please vote for me...If you're still following this story at the 40th chapter... :)

I shuffled my feet awkwardly as I stared determinedly at the marbled ground.

“How could you be so foolish, choosing Miss Donovan over someone like her?” Mr Gallagher bellowed in fury, momentarily shooting his sharp gaze towards me in disgust.

Leo immediately stiffened beside me, and the arm that was protectively wrapped around my waist tensed as he reacted to his father’s words. “Her name is Hailey.  And if you think for a second that I actually give a damn what you think then you’re wrong!” He hissed back.

The older man’s face exploded into a splash of red; “you, you – how dare you take her side! Wake up son! Those types of women are good for nothing– commons whores the lot are, they’re only after the money!”

It was like somebody had tipped a bucket of ice cold water over my head, was that really what Leo’s father thought of me?

“Don’t you even dare associate her name with that word, I’m warning you – you don’t know anything about Hailey!” Leo roared in fury, his hands roughly grabbing his father’s collar in a chokehold.

“Stop!” An icy voice interrupted out of nowhere.

The owner of the voice was a tall and elegantly dressed woman with blonde tresses that trailed all the way down to her narrow hips. She was beautiful there was no doubt, but she also had an uncanny resemblance to Leo.

“Let go of your father now.” She ordered frostily.

Leo gave his mother a heated glare, but his fury was no match for her freezing gaze.

“You shall not make a disgrace of yourselves in front of outsiders.” She added sharply.

I swallowed, it didn’t take a fool to notice who the outsider was.

“Hailey is not some outsider.” Leo snapped at her.

“Damn right she is, because she isn’t going to get any recognition from this family.” Mr Gallagher growled.

I flinched; but their words didn’t hurt me at all. No, Instead I was wondering how on earth Leo turned out to be so different from the two most cold blooded people on earth that brought him into this world.

“I absolutely won’t tolerate that kind of behaviour in my house.” Mrs Gallagher spoke in a steely tone that made me shiver, and I swore even Mr Gallagher paled a little.

Turning her cold gaze on me, she let out a small sigh that didn’t seem to match her ice queen personality. “Tell me...How much do you need to willingly leave my son?” She asked me.

“Excuse me?” I croaked in disbelief.

“Any amount is negotiable, just name your price.” She continued, pulling out a thin check book from her black Hermes Tote that was hanging off her bare shoulder.

I pressed my lips together in a thin line; “I think you’re mistak – “

“- I can’t believe I even thought you two would be any different.” Leo interrupted, shaking his head sadly at his parents. “Hailey, let’s just go.” He whispered, grabbing my hand.

“Where do you think you’re going? Where are your manners – Your mother hasn’t even finished talking yet!” Mr Gallagher hollered in rage.

“Richard.” She dispassionately silenced the older man. It was obvious to who wore the pants in their relationship.